An Act for the establishment of a Canadian council for the encouragement of the arts
Marginal note:Short title
- R.S., 1985, c. C-2, s. 1;
- 2001, c. 34, s. 14(E).
2. In this Act,
« arts »
“arts” includes architecture, the arts of the theatre, literature, music, painting, sculpture, the graphic arts and other similar creative and interpretative activities;
« Conseil »
“Council” means the corporation established by section 3.
- R.S., c. C-2, s. 2.
CANADA COUNCIL FOR THE ARTS
Marginal note:Establishment of Council
3. There is hereby established a corporation, to be known as the Canada Council for the Arts, consisting of a Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson and not more than nine other members, to be appointed by the Governor in Council as provided in section 4.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-2, s. 3;
- 1995, c. 29, s. 6;
- 2001, c. 34, s. 15(E).
MEMBERS OF THE COUNCIL
Marginal note:Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson
4. (1) The Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson of the Council shall be appointed for such terms, not exceeding five years each, as are fixed by the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:Other members
(2) Each of the other members of the Council shall be appointed for a term of four years.
Marginal note:Eligibility for re-appointment
(3) A person who has served two consecutive terms as Chairperson of the Council, as Vice-Chairperson thereof or as a member appointed under subsection (2) is not, during the twelve months following the completion of the second term, eligible to be re-appointed to the Council in the same capacity.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-2, s. 4;
- 1995, c. 29, s. 10(E);
- 2006, c. 9, s. 230.
5. (1) There shall be a Director of the Council to be appointed by the Governor in Council to hold office during pleasure.
Marginal note:Chief executive officer
(2) The Director is the chief executive officer of the Council.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-2, s. 5;
- 1995, c. 29, s. 7;
- 2009, c. 2, s. 376.
- Date modified: