Assented to 1990-05-10
An Act to establish the Canadian Space Agency and to provide for other matters in relation to space
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
Marginal note:Short title
2. In this Act,
« Agence »
“Agency” means the Canadian Space Agency established by section 3;
“Board”[Repealed, 2010, c. 12, s. 1712]
- “Executive Vice-President”
“Executive Vice-President”[Repealed, 2010, c. 12, s. 1712]
« ministre »
“Minister” means such member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada as is designated by the Governor in Council as the Minister for the purposes of this Act;
« président »
“President” means the President of the Agency appointed pursuant to subsection 12(1).
- 1990, c. 13, s. 2;
- 2010, c. 12, s. 1712(E).
ESTABLISHMENT OF AGENCY
3. There is hereby established an agency of the Government of Canada, to be known as the Canadian Space Agency.
OBJECTS AND FUNCTIONS
4. The objects of the Agency are to promote the peaceful use and development of space, to advance the knowledge of space through science and to ensure that space science and technology provide social and economic benefits for Canadians.
Marginal note:Matters concerning space
5. (1) The Agency may exercise its powers, and perform its duties and functions, in relation to all matters concerning space over which Parliament has jurisdiction and that are not by or pursuant to law assigned to any other department, board or agency of the Government of Canada.
(2) In carrying out its objects, the Agency shall
(a) assist the Minister to coordinate the space policies and programs of the Government of Canada;
(b) plan, direct, manage and implement programs and projects relating to scientific or industrial space research and development and the application of space technology;
(c) promote the transfer and diffusion of space technology to and throughout Canadian industry;
(d) encourage commercial exploitation of space capabilities, technology, facilities and systems; and
(e) perform such other functions as the Governor in Council may, by order, assign.
(3) In carrying out its objects, the Agency may
(a) construct, acquire, manage, maintain and operate space research and development vehicles, facilities and systems;
(b) assist departments, boards and agencies of the Government of Canada to use and to market space technology;
(c) make grants and contributions in support of programs or projects relating to scientific or industrial space research and development and the application of space technology, including projects designed to develop, test, evaluate or apply new or improved processes, products, systems or information relating to space science and technology with a view to determining the commercial potential of that science and technology, but not including any programs or projects relating solely to the commercial exploitation of space science or technology;
(d) cooperate with the space and space-related agencies of other countries in the peaceful use and development of space;
(e) provide services and facilities to any person;
(f) license, sell or otherwise make available any patent, copyright, industrial design, trade-mark, trade secret or other like property right controlled or administered by the Minister;
(g) enter into contracts, memoranda of understanding or other arrangements in the name of Her Majesty in right of Canada or in the name of the Agency;
(h) acquire any money, securities or other personal or movable property by gift or bequest and expend, administer or dispose of any such money, securities or property subject to the terms, if any, on which the gift or bequest was made;
(i) administer any loans or guarantees made by the Minister pursuant to section 9; and
(j) do all such things as are necessary or incidental to the attainment of the objects of the Agency.
Marginal note:Government facilities
(4) In exercising its powers and performing its duties and functions under this Act, the Agency shall, where appropriate, make use of the services and facilities of departments, boards and agencies of the Government of Canada.
- 1990, c. 13, s. 5;
- 2001, c. 4, s. 70.
- Date modified: