Marginal note:Interim report to be provided
(a) on written request made in respect of that investigation, to any Minister responsible for a department having a direct interest in the subject-matter of the investigation; and
(b) to any coroner investigating the transportation occurrence, where the transportation occurrence involved a fatality and significant progress has been made in the Board’s investigation.
Marginal note:Interim report to be used for limited purpose only
(2) A person, other than a Minister, who is provided with an interim report under subsection (1) shall not use the report, or permit its use, for any purpose not strictly necessary to the examination of the report.
- 1989, c. 3, s. 25;
- 1998, c. 20, s. 16.
Marginal note:Power to reconsider
26 (1) The Board may, at any time, reconsider any of its findings and recommendations pursuant to an investigation that it has conducted under this Act, whether or not it has made public a report of those findings and recommendations.
Marginal note:Where Board must reconsider
(2) The Board shall reconsider its findings and recommendations pursuant to an investigation that it has conducted under this Act where, in its opinion, new material facts appear.
Marginal note:Board may delegate powers
27 (1) Subject to subsection (2), the Board may delegate to any person, subject to any limitations specified in the instrument of delegation, any of the powers conferred or duties imposed on the Board under this Act, other than
(2) A delegation under subsection (1) may be revoked in writing at any time by the Board.
Marginal note:Definition of on-board recording
(a) a recording of voice communications originating from, or received on or in,
(b) a video recording of the activities of the operating personnel of an aircraft, ship, locomotive or pipeline
that is made, using recording equipment that is intended to not be controlled by the operating personnel, on the flight deck of the aircraft, on the bridge or in a control room of the ship, in the cab of the locomotive or in a place where pipeline operations are carried out, as the case may be, and includes a transcript or substantial summary of such a recording.
Marginal note:Privilege for on-board recordings
(2) Every on-board recording is privileged and, except as provided by this section, no person, including any person to whom access is provided under this section, shall
Marginal note:Access by Board
(3) Any on-board recording that relates to a transportation occurrence being investigated under this Act shall be released to an investigator who requests it for the purposes of the investigation.
Marginal note:Use by Board
(4) The Board may make such use of any on-board recording obtained under this Act as it considers necessary in the interests of transportation safety, but, subject to subsection (5), shall not knowingly communicate or permit to be communicated to anyone any portion thereof that is unrelated to the causes or contributing factors of the transportation occurrence under investigation or to the identification of safety deficiencies.
Marginal note:Access by peace officers, coroners and other investigators
(5) The Board shall make available any on-board recording obtained under this Act to
Marginal note:Power of court or coroner
(6) Notwithstanding anything in this section, where, in any proceedings before a court or coroner, a request for the production and discovery of an on-board recording is made, the court or coroner shall
(a) cause notice of the request to be given to the Board, if the Board is not a party to the proceedings;
(b) in camera, examine the on-board recording and give the Board a reasonable opportunity to make representations with respect thereto; and
(c) if the court or coroner concludes in the circumstances of the case that the public interest in the proper administration of justice outweighs in importance the privilege attached to the on-board recording by virtue of this section, order the production and discovery of the on-board recording, subject to such restrictions or conditions as the court or coroner deems appropriate, and may require any person to give evidence that relates to the on-board recording.
Marginal note:Use prohibited
(7) An on-board recording may not be used against any of the following persons in disciplinary proceedings, proceedings relating to the capacity or competence of an officer or employee to perform the officer’s or employee’s functions, or in legal or other proceedings, namely, air or rail traffic controllers, marine traffic regulators, aircraft, train or ship crew members (including, in the case of ships, masters, officers, pilots and ice advisers), airport vehicle operators, flight service station specialists, persons who relay messages respecting air or rail traffic control, marine traffic regulation or related matters and persons who are directly or indirectly involved in the operation of a pipeline.
Marginal note:Definition of court
(8) For the purposes of subsection (6), court includes a person or persons appointed or designated to conduct a public inquiry into a transportation occurrence pursuant to this Act or the Inquiries Act.
- 1989, c. 3, s. 28;
- 1998, c. 20, s. 17.
Marginal note:Definition of communication record
(a) any type of communications respecting air traffic control or related matters that take place between any of the following persons, namely, air traffic controllers, aircraft crew members, airport vehicle operators, flight service station specialists and persons who relay messages respecting air traffic control or related matters,
(b) any type of communications respecting rail traffic control or related matters that take place between any of the following persons, namely, rail traffic controllers, train crew members, maintenance of way employees, signal maintainers, vehicle operators and persons who relay messages respecting rail traffic control or related matters,
(c) any type of communications respecting marine traffic regulation or related matters that take place between any of the following persons, namely, marine traffic regulators, persons designated under subsection 58(1) or section 76, 99 or 106 of the Canada Marine Act, ship crew members (including masters, officers, pilots and ice advisers), and staff of Coast Guard radio stations, rescue coordination centres and subcentres and harbour master offices,
(d) any type of communications respecting maritime distress, maritime safety or related matters
(i) that take place between any of the following persons, namely, Coast Guard radio station operators, ship crew members (including masters, officers, pilots and ice advisers), and staff of vessel traffic services centres, persons designated under subsection 58(1) or section 76, 99 or 106 of the Canada Marine Act, rescue coordination centres and subcentres, harbour master offices and ship agents’ offices, or
(ii) that take place between any person on shore and a ship via a Coast Guard radio station, or
(e) any type of communication respecting the operation of a pipeline that takes place between persons who are control room personnel, pumping station personnel, operating personnel or members of a maintenance crew or an emergency response crew.
(2) to (5) [Repealed, 1998, c. 20, s. 18]
Marginal note:Use prohibited
(6) A communication record obtained under this Act shall not be used against any person referred to in subsection (1) in any legal proceedings or, subject to any applicable collective agreement, in any disciplinary proceedings.
- 1989, c. 3, s. 29;
- 1998, c. 10, s. 167, c. 20, s. 18.
- Date modified: