Marginal note:Authenticating agent’s duty
141. An authenticating trustee, registrar, transfer agent or other agent of an issuer has, in respect of the issue, registration of transfer and cancellation of a security of the issuer,
(a) a duty to the issuer to exercise good faith and reasonable diligence; and
(b) the same obligations to the holder or owner of a security and the same rights, privileges and immunities as the issuer.
Marginal note:Notice to agent
142. Notice to an authenticating trustee, registrar, transfer agent or other agent of an issuer is notice to the issuer in respect of the functions performed by the agent.
PART VIICORPORATE GOVERNANCE
Members and Shareholders
Marginal note:Place of meetings
143. (1) Meetings of members or shareholders of the association shall be held at the place within Canada provided for in the by-laws of the association or, in the absence of any such provision, at the place within Canada that the directors determine.
Marginal note:Participation by electronic means
(2) Unless the by-laws provide otherwise, any person who is entitled to attend a meeting of members or shareholders may participate in the meeting by means of a telephonic, electronic or other communication facility that permits all participants to communicate adequately with each other during the meeting if the association makes one available. A person who is participating in a meeting by one of those means is deemed for the purposes of this Act to be present at the meeting.
(3) The Governor in Council may make regulations respecting the manner of and conditions for participating in a meeting by means of a telephonic, electronic or other communication facility that permits all participants to communicate adequately with each other during the meeting.
- 1991, c. 48, s. 143;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 154.
Marginal note:Calling meetings
144. (1) The directors of an association
(a) shall, after the meeting called pursuant to subsection 54(1), call the first annual meeting of the association, which meeting must be held not later than six months after the end of the first financial year of the association, and subsequently call an annual meeting, which meeting must be held not later than six months after the end of each financial year; and
(b) may at any time call a special meeting of members or shareholders of the association.
Marginal note:Order to delay calling annual meeting
(2) Despite subsection (1), the association may apply to the court for an order extending the time for calling an annual meeting.
Marginal note:Obligation to notify Superintendent
(3) The association shall give notice of the application to the Superintendent before any hearing concerning the application and shall provide the Superintendent with a copy of any order that is issued.
Marginal note:Superintendent’s right to appear
(4) The Superintendent is entitled to appear and be heard in person or by counsel at any hearing concerning the application.
- 1991, c. 48, s. 144;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 155.
- Date modified: