Marginal note:Application to be signed by applicant
99 (1) An application for a Social Insurance Number shall be signed by the applicant in his own hand but where the applicant is unable to sign his own name, he may attest the application by making his mark in the presence of two witnesses whose names and signatures shall be shown thereon.
Marginal note:Change of name
(2) When the name of an individual to whom a Social Insurance Number has been assigned changes, by reason of marriage or otherwise, the individual shall inform the Minister of their new name, unless they have already so informed another authority empowered to receive that information,
(a) if the individual is employed in pensionable employment, within 60 days after the day on which the change of name becomes effective; or
(b) if the individual is not employed in pensionable employment but later becomes so employed, or is required to make a contribution under this Act in respect of their self-employed earnings, within 60 days after the day on which the individual becomes so employed or after the first day on or before which they are required under section 33 to pay any amount as or on account of the contributions required to be made by them in respect of those earnings, as the case may be.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-8, s. 99;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 306;
- 2016, c. 14, s. 42.
Marginal note:Agreement respecting assignment of Social Insurance Numbers
100 (1) The Minister may, on behalf of the Government of Canada, enter into an agreement with the government of a province providing a comprehensive pension plan under which the Minister may cause Social Insurance Numbers to be assigned to persons to whom Social Insurance Numbers have not earlier been assigned, on the basis of applications made by those persons to the appropriate authority in that province.
Marginal note:Numbers deemed to have been assigned under Act
(2) Any Social Insurance Numbers caused to be assigned by the Minister under any agreement entered into under subsection (1) shall be deemed for all purposes of this Act to have been assigned under this Act.
- R.S., c. C-5, s. 103.
(a) requiring employers to distribute to their employees applications and other material relating to applications for Social Insurance Numbers;
(b) prescribing districts for purposes of assigning Social Insurance Numbers, in which persons who reside therein may file their applications for Social Insurance Numbers and, having regard to the public convenience, the place or places within each district at which those persons may apply;
(c) prescribing the conditions on which and manner in which Social Insurance Number Cards that have been lost or destroyed may be replaced;
(d) authorizing the Minister and the Minister of National Revenue to cause a Social Insurance Number to be assigned and a Social Insurance Number Card to be issued to any individual who has not earlier been assigned a Social Insurance Number;
(d.1) prescribing or defining anything that, by this Part, is to be prescribed or defined;
(d.2) and (d.3) [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 233]
(e) generally for carrying out the purposes and provisions of this Part.
(2) [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 233]
- R.S., 1985, c. C-8, s. 101;
- R.S., 1985, c. 30 (2nd Supp.), s. 52;
- 1995, c. 33, s. 42;
- 2007, c. 11, s. 10;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 233.
Marginal note:Offence and punishment
(2) Every person who has been assigned a Social Insurance Number and who knowingly makes application again to be assigned a Social Insurance Number, whether giving the same or different information in that application as in his previous application, and whether or not he is assigned a Social Insurance Number again, is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
(3) Every employer who fails to comply with subsection 98(5) or any regulation made under paragraph 101(1)(a) is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars.
- R.S., c. C-5, s. 105.
Marginal note:Limitation period
Marginal note:Officers, etc., of corporations
(2) Where a corporation commits an offence under this Act, every officer, director or agent of the corporation who directed, authorized, assented to, acquiesced in or participated in the commission of the offence is a party to and guilty of the offence and is liable on conviction to the punishment provided for the offence whether or not the corporation has been prosecuted or convicted.
Marginal note:Information or complaint
(3) Subsection 41(6) applies with respect to an information or complaint under any of the provisions of this Act other than Part I, as though for the reference therein to the Canada Revenue Agency and the Minister thereof there were substituted a reference to the Department of Employment and Social Development and the Minister.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-8, s. 103;
- 1996, c. 11, s. 97;
- 1999, c. 17, s. 111;
- 2005, c. 35, s. 66, c. 38, s. 138;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 695;
- 2013, c. 40, s. 237.
Availability of Information
mise en oeuvre
administration includes the development, operation, evaluation and enforcement of policies and programs. (mise en oeuvre)
federal institution means a department or any other body referred to in Schedule I, I.1, II or III to the Financial Administration Act. (institution fédérale)
public officer means an officer or employee of a federal institution, or a prescribed individual or a member of a prescribed class of individuals. (fonctionnaire public)
(2) The definition of a word or expression in subsection (1) does not affect its interpretation in any other provision of this Act.
(3) [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 293]
- R.S., 1985, c. C-8, s. 104;
- R.S., 1985, c. 30 (2nd Supp.), s. 53, c. 18 (3rd Supp.), s. 30;
- 1991, c. 44, s. 25;
- 1992, c. 1, s. 25, c. 48, s. 28;
- 1995, c. 33, s. 43;
- 1996, c. 11, ss. 49, 97, c. 16, s. 61, c. 23, ss. 187, 189;
- 1997, c. 40, s. 88;
- 2003, c. 22, s. 129;
- 2005, c. 35, s. 45;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 293.
104.01 [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 294]
104.02 [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 294]
104.03 [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 294]
104.04 [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 294]
104.05 [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 294]
104.06 [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 294]
104.07 [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 294]
104.08 [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 294]
104.09 [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 294]
- Date modified: