Marginal note:Carrying restricted firearms and pre-February 14, 1995 handguns
20. An individual who holds a licence authorizing the individual to possess restricted firearms or handguns referred to in subsection 12(6.1) (pre-December 1, 1998 handguns) may be authorized to possess a particular restricted firearm or handgun at a place other than the place at which it is authorized to be possessed if the individual needs the particular restricted firearm or handgun
(a) to protect the life of that individual or of other individuals; or
(b) for use in connection with his or her lawful profession or occupation.
- 1995, c. 39, s. 20;
- 2003, c. 8, s. 56.
AUTHORIZED TRANSFERS AND LENDING
Marginal note:Definition of “transfer”
21. For the purposes of sections 22 to 32, “transfer” means sell, barter or give.
Marginal note:Mental disorder, etc.
22. A person may transfer or lend a firearm to an individual only if the person has no reason to believe that the individual
(a) has a mental illness that makes it desirable, in the interests of the safety of that individual or any other person, that the individual not possess a firearm; or
(b) is impaired by alcohol or a drug.
Marginal note:Authorization to transfer non-restricted firearms
23. A person may transfer a non-restricted firearm if, at the time of the transfer,
(a) the transferee holds a licence authorizing the transferee to acquire and possess that kind of firearm; and
(b) the transferor has no reason to believe that the transferee is not authorized to acquire and possess that kind of firearm.
- 1995, c. 39, s. 23;
- 2003, c. 8, s. 17;
- 2012, c. 6, s. 11;
- 2015, c. 27, s. 7.
Marginal note:Voluntary request to Registrar
23.1 (1) A transferor referred to in section 23 may request that the Registrar inform the transferor as to whether the transferee, at the time of the transfer, holds and is still eligible to hold the licence referred to in paragraph 23(a), and if such a request is made, the Registrar or his or her delegate, or any other person that the federal Minister may designate, shall so inform the transferor.
Marginal note:No record of request
(2) Despite sections 12 and 13 of the Library and Archives of Canada Act and subsections 6(1) and (3) of the Privacy Act, neither the Registrar or his or her delegate nor a designated person shall retain any record of a request made under subsection (1).
- 2012, c. 6, s. 11.
- Date modified: