Government Property Traffic Act
R.S.C., 1985, c. G-6
An Act for the control of traffic on Government property
Marginal note:Short title
- R.S., c. G-10, s. 1.
2. (1) The Governor in Council may make regulations for the control of traffic on any lands belonging to or occupied by Her Majesty in right of Canada and, in particular, but without restricting the generality of the foregoing, may make regulations
(a) regulating the speed and parking of vehicles and prescribing routes of travel;
(b) respecting one-way traffic, obstruction of traffic and pedestrian traffic;
(c) for directing traffic and erecting signs;
(d) prohibiting traffic by such vehicles, at such times, in such places and in such circumstances, as may be prescribed in the regulations;
(e) prohibiting unnecessary noise in the vicinity of buildings;
(f) authorizing officers to enforce the regulations;
(g) prescribing a fine not exceeding five hundred dollars or a term of imprisonment not exceeding six months, or both, to be imposed on summary conviction as punishment for the contravention of any regulation; and
(h) providing for the voluntary payment of fines and for prohibiting persons who have contravened any regulation from driving a vehicle on the lands for any period not exceeding one year.
Marginal note:Classification of vehicles
(2) The Governor in Council may classify vehicles according to dimensions, design, use, weight, kind or otherwise and may make regulations under subsection (1) with respect to any or all such class or classes.
- R.S., 1985, c. G-6, s. 2;
- 1992, c. 47, s. 72.1;
- 1996, c. 7, s. 38.
OFFENCES AND PUNISHMENT
Marginal note:Liability of owner
3. (1) Where a vehicle is operated or parked in contravention of any regulation, the owner of the vehicle is liable to the punishment prescribed by the regulations for the contravention unless, at the time of the contravention, the vehicle was not operated or parked, as the case may be, by the owner or by any other person with the owner’s consent, express or implied.
Marginal note:No relief from liability for operating or parking
(2) Nothing in this section relieves a person who operates or parks a vehicle in contravention of a regulation from the punishment prescribed for the contravention.
- R.S., c. G-10, s. 3.
4. In any prosecution for a contravention of a regulation, a certificate stating that Her Majesty in right of Canada is the owner or occupant of the lands described therein and purporting to be signed by
(a) the Minister of Public Works and Government Services or the Deputy, Assistant Deputy or Acting Deputy of the Minister of Public Works and Government Services,
(b) the minister having the administration of the lands or the deputy, assistant deputy or acting deputy of that minister, or
(c) the officer or person having custody of the documents of title or other appropriate records,
is evidence that the lands belong to or are occupied by Her Majesty in right of Canada, as the case may be, without proof of the signature or official character of the person appearing to have signed the certificate and without further proof.
- R.S., 1985, c. G-6, s. 4;
- 1991, c. 50, s. 29;
- 1999, c. 31, s. 126.
- Date modified: