An Act respecting the Governor General
Marginal note:Short title
- R.S., c. G-14, s. 1.
PART IOFFICE OF GOVERNOR GENERAL
Marginal note:Corporation sole
2. The Governor General of Canada or other chief executive officer or administrator carrying on the Government of Canada on behalf and in the name of the Sovereign, by whatever title designated, is a corporation sole.
- R.S., c. G-14, s. 2.
Marginal note:Instruments taken to Governor General
3. (1) All bonds, recognizances and other instruments by law required to be taken to the Governor General in his public capacity shall be taken to the Governor General by his name of office.
Marginal note:Suit and recovery
(2) The instruments referred to in subsection (1) may be sued for and recovered by the Governor General by his name of office.
Marginal note:Not to vest in personal representatives
(3) The instruments referred to in subsection (1) shall in no case go to or vest in the personal representatives of the Governor General, chief executive officer or administrator of the Government in whose name they were taken.
- R.S., c. G-14, s. 3.
4. (1) There shall be payable to the Governor General for the 12-month period beginning on January 1, 2013 a salary of $270,602.
Marginal note:Second charge on C.R.F.
(2) The salary of the Governor General is payable out of the Consolidated Revenue Fund, and forms the second charge thereon.
- R.S., 1985, c. G-9, s. 4;
- R.S., 1985, c. 50 (1st Supp.), s. 1;
- 1990, c. 5, s. 1;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 16.
Marginal note:Annual adjustment of salary
4.1 (1) For the 12-month period beginning on January 1, 2014 and for each 12-month period after that, the Governor General’s salary shall be the amount obtained by multiplying
(a) that salary for the twelve month period immediately preceding the twelve month period in respect of which the salary is to be determined
(b) the lesser of one hundred and seven per cent and the percentage that the Industrial Aggregate for the first adjustment year is of the Industrial Aggregate for the second adjustment year.
Marginal note:Meaning of certain expressions
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1),
(a) in relation to any twelve month period in respect of which the salary of the Governor General is to be determined, the “first adjustment year” is the most recent twelve month period for which the Industrial Aggregate is available on the first day of the period in respect of which the salary is to be determined, and the “second adjustment year” is the twelve month period immediately preceding the first adjustment year; and
(b) the “Industrial Aggregate” for an adjustment year is the average weekly wages and salaries of the Industrial Aggregate in Canada for that year as published by Statistics Canada under the authority of the Statistics Act.
Marginal note:Rounding of amounts and prorating
(3) A salary determined pursuant to subsection (1) that is not a multiple of one hundred dollars shall be rounded to the closest multiple of one hundred dollars that is lower than the salary so determined and the salary so determined shall be prorated for any period that is less than one year.
(4) and (5) [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 17]
- 1990, c. 5, s. 2;
- 1993, c. 13, s. 9;
- 1994, c. 18, s. 8;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 17.
- Date modified: