Marginal note:Factors to be considered
26 A committee to which a decision is referred shall consider
(a) the reasons for the decision;
(b) the reasons stated by the person who requested the review; and
(c) any representations, information or material submitted to it by the Minister or the person who requested the review.
Marginal note:Protection of information
27 The committee members shall not disclose any information or material submitted to them as part of the review to any person other than the Minister unless the disclosure is authorized by the person to whom the information or material relates or is otherwise authorized or required by law.
Marginal note:Committee’s report
28 Within 60 days after the referral of a decision to a committee, or within any longer period that the Minister may allow, the committee shall report its findings and recommendations to the Minister and to the person who requested the review.
Marginal note:Final decision
(2) The Minister’s final decision takes effect on the day after the day on which it is received.
Marginal note:Duty to inform
Marginal note:Return of revoked licence
(2) A person whose licence is revoked shall return it by registered mail to the Minister as soon as feasible after the Minister’s decision takes effect or, if the decision is reviewed, as soon as feasible after the Minister’s final decision takes effect.
Access to Facility to Which Licence Applies
Marginal note:List of authorized persons
31 A licence holder shall establish and maintain a list of all persons authorized by the licence holder to access the facility to which the licence applies, including persons holding a security clearance for that facility and visitors. The licence holder shall provide the Minister with that list if requested to do so.
Marginal note:Obligation to inform Minister
32 If a licence holder decides to prohibit the holder of a security clearance from having access to the facility to which the licence applies, the licence holder shall, without delay, inform the Minister in writing of their decision.
Marginal note:Access to facilities
33 No person shall enter the part of a facility in which controlled activities are authorized in relation to human pathogens that fall into Risk Group 3 or Risk Group 4 and are prescribed by regulation or toxins prescribed by regulation unless
(a) they hold a security clearance for that part of the facility; or
(b) they are, in accordance with the regulations, if any, accompanied and supervised by a person who holds a security clearance for that part of the facility.
Marginal note:Issuance, suspension and revocation
34 (1) The Minister may, in accordance with the regulations, issue a security clearance to any individual or suspend or revoke a security clearance. The Minister shall notify the individual concerned in writing of the decision.
(2) The Minister may, by way of an agreement, authorize any federal department or agency to issue, suspend or revoke security clearances and section 35 applies with any necessary modifications.
Marginal note:Reconsideration of decision
35 (1) If the Minister refuses to issue a security clearance or suspends or revokes a security clearance, the individual concerned may, within 30 days after the day on which the notice is received, request in writing that the Minister reconsider the decision.
Marginal note:Request for reconsideration
(2) The request for reconsideration must set out
Marginal note:Opportunity to make representations
(3) On receipt of a request made in accordance with this section, the Minister shall give the individual concerned a reasonable opportunity to make representations.
Marginal note:Confirmation or variation of decision
(4) Within a reasonable time after representations have been made or an opportunity to do so has been given, the Minister shall reconsider the decision, in accordance with the regulations, if any, and confirm or vary it.
(5) The Minister shall notify the individual concerned in writing of the decision made following the reconsideration.
Biological Safety Officers
Marginal note:Obligations not limited
(2) A designation does not have the effect of limiting the obligations of the licence holder or any other person under this Act.
(3) An individual may be designated as a biological safety officer only if the individual has the qualifications set out in the regulations.
Marginal note:Effect of designation
(4) A designation takes effect on the day on which the designated individual provides the Minister with their written consent to the designation or the day on which the individual begins to act as a biological safety officer, whichever is earlier.
Marginal note:Powers and functions
(5) The biological safety officer may exercise the powers and shall carry out the functions set out in the regulations.
(6) If an individual ceases to act as a biological safety officer, the licence holder shall, without delay, designate another individual and inform the Minister of the new designation.
37 Subsection 7(1) and section 8 do not apply to
(a) an inspector or analyst carrying out their functions under this Act;
(b) a peace officer carrying out their functions under any federal or provincial Act or a person providing assistance to that peace officer;
(c) any person who, in the course of their employment, outside a facility in which controlled activities are authorized, collects a sample for the purpose of laboratory analysis or diagnostic testing; or
(d) in exigent circumstances, any person carrying out their functions under any federal or provincial Act.
Marginal note:Provision of information to Minister
38 (1) The Minister may order an applicant, a licence holder or a biological safety officer to provide the Minister, in accordance with any conditions that the Minister may specify, with any information that is under that person’s control, including personal information and confidential business information, and that the Minister believes, on reasonable grounds, is relevant to the administration of this Act or the regulations.
(2) The information that is to be provided may include information regarding
(a) the human pathogens or toxins in the possession of the applicant, licence holder or biological safety officer;
(b) the persons having access to the human pathogens or toxins referred to in paragraph (a);
(c) the facility in which the controlled activities are authorized or in respect of which an application for a licence has been submitted; and
(d) the controlled activities that are authorized by a licence or in respect of which an application for a licence has been submitted.
Marginal note:Obligation to provide information
(3) An applicant, a licence holder or a biological safety officer shall provide the Minister with the information, in accordance with any conditions that the Minister may specify.
Marginal note:Excluded information
(4) Despite subsections (1) to (3), the Minister of National Defence may refuse to disclose any information the disclosure of which could reasonably be expected to be injurious to the defence or security of Canada or of a state allied or associated with Canada.
- Date modified: