CANADA EMPLOYMENT INSURANCE COMMISSION
Continuation of the Commission
20. (1) The Canada Employment Insurance Commission is continued. It consists of four commissioners.
(2) The four commissioners shall be
(a) the Deputy Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development, who shall be the Chairperson of the Commission;
(b) an Associate Deputy Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development, who shall be the Vice-Chairperson of the Commission;
(c) a person appointed by the Governor in Council after consultation with organizations representative of workers; and
(d) a person appointed by the Governor in Council after consultation with organizations representative of employers.
Marginal note:Employment Insurance Canada
(3) The expressions “Employment Insurance Canada” and “Assurance-emploi Canada” in any document issued or executed in relation to the matters set out in section 24 are deemed to be references to the “Canada Employment Insurance Commission” and the “Commission de l’assurance-emploi du Canada”, respectively.
- 2005, c. 34, s. 20;
- 2010, c. 12, s. 1723.
Marginal note:Tenure, remuneration and conditions of office
21. (1) Commissioners, other than the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson,
(a) shall be appointed by the Governor in Council to hold office during good behaviour for a term not exceeding five years but may be removed by the Governor in Council at any time for cause;
(b) are eligible for reappointment on the expiration of each term of office;
(c) shall receive the remuneration that is fixed by the Governor in Council;
(d) are deemed to be employed in the public service for the purposes of the Public Service Superannuation Act and to be employed in the federal public administration for the purposes of the Government Employees Compensation Act and any regulations made pursuant to section 9 of the Aeronautics Act; and
(e) shall devote the whole of their time to the performance of the duties and functions of the office of commissioner and shall not accept or hold any office or employment or carry on any activity inconsistent with their duties and functions.
Marginal note:Tenure, remuneration and conditions of office — acting
(2) In the event of the absence or incapacity of a commissioner other than the Chairperson or Vice-Chairperson or if the office is vacant, the Governor in Council may designate a person to act as a commissioner for the period of the absence, incapacity or vacancy and the person so designated has and may exercise all the powers and perform all the duties and functions of a commissioner, unless the Governor in Council specifies otherwise.
- 2005, c. 34, ss. 21, 82(E).
- Date modified: