Marginal note:Agent of Her Majesty
26. (1) The Commission is a body corporate and is for all purposes an agent of Her Majesty in right of Canada and it may exercise its powers only as an agent of Her Majesty in that right.
(2) The Commission may, on behalf of Her Majesty in right of Canada, enter into contracts in the name of Her Majesty or in the name of the Commission.
Organization and Operation of the Commission
Marginal note:Head office
27. (1) The head office of the Commission shall be in the National Capital Region as described in the schedule to the National Capital Act or at any other place in Canada that may be designated by order of the Governor in Council.
(2) The Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson shall reside in the National Capital Region or at the place designated by the Governor in Council under subsection (1), or within reasonable commuting distance of that region or place.
- 2005, c. 34, s. 27;
- 2011, c. 24, s. 189.
28. (1) The officers and employees necessary for the proper conduct of the business of the Commission shall be employees of the Department.
(1.1) [Repealed, 2008, c. 28, s. 132]
(2) The Commission may enter into contracts with agents in or for locations where the Commission considers it desirable to do so.
(3) The Commission may authorize any person or body, or member of a class of persons or bodies, to exercise powers or perform duties and functions of or delegated to the Commission, and any such authorized person or body or class of persons or bodies may exercise specified powers or perform specified duties and functions.
Marginal note:Actuary — Employment Insurance Act
(4) The Commission shall engage the services of a Fellow of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries who is an employee of the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions to perform the duties under section 66.3 of the Employment Insurance Act.
- 2005, c. 30, s. 129, c. 34, s. 28;
- 2008, c. 28, s. 132;
- 2012, c. 31, s. 441.
Social Insurance Number
28.1 (1) Any person who is employed in insurable employment as defined in the Employment Insurance Act or who is a self-employed person in respect of whom Part VII.1 of that Act applies must be registered with the Commission.
(2) The Commission shall maintain a register containing the names of the persons referred to in subsection (1) and any other information that it determines is necessary to accurately identify them.
Marginal note:Social Insurance Number
(3) The Commission shall assign to each person registered with it a number that is suitable for use as a file number or account number or for data processing purposes, and that number is the person’s Social Insurance Number for any purpose for which a Social Insurance Number is required.
Marginal note:Social Insurance Number card
(4) The Commission may issue to each person registered with it a card containing the person’s name and Social Insurance Number.
- 2005, c. 30, s. 129;
- 2008, c. 28, s. 133;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 304.
- Date modified: