Marginal note:Recovery by action
80. (1) Where any money or property was paid or distributed to a shareholder or other person as a consequence of a reduction of capital made contrary to section 79, a creditor of the company may apply to a court for an order compelling the shareholder or other person to pay the money or deliver the property to the company.
Marginal note:Shares held by personal representative
(2) No person holding shares in the capacity of a personal representative and registered on the records of the company as a shareholder and therein described as the personal representative of a named person is personally liable under subsection (1), but the named person is subject to all the liabilities imposed by that subsection.
(3) An action to enforce a liability imposed by subsection (1) may not be commenced more than two years after the date of the act complained of.
Marginal note:Remedy preserved
(4) This section does not affect any liability that arises under section 216.
Marginal note:Adjustment of stated capital account
81. (1) On a purchase, redemption or other acquisition by a company of shares or fractions thereof issued by it, other than shares acquired pursuant to section 76 or acquired through the realization of security and sold pursuant to subsection 77(2), the company shall deduct from the stated capital account maintained for the class or series of shares so purchased, redeemed or otherwise acquired an amount equal to the result obtained by multiplying the stated capital in respect of the shares of that class or series by the number of shares of that class or series so purchased, redeemed or otherwise acquired and dividing by the number of shares of that class or series outstanding immediately before the purchase, redemption or other acquisition.
(2) A company shall adjust its stated capital account or accounts in accordance with any special resolution referred to in section 79.
Marginal note:Shares converted to another class
(3) On a conversion of outstanding shares of a company into shares of another class or series, or on a change of outstanding shares of the company into shares of another class or series, the company shall
(a) deduct from the stated capital account maintained for the class or series of shares converted or changed an amount equal to the result obtained by multiplying the stated capital of the shares of that class or series by the number of shares of that class or series converted or changed, and dividing by the number of outstanding shares of that class or series immediately before the conversion or change; and
(b) record the result obtained under paragraph (a) and any additional consideration received pursuant to the conversion or change in the stated capital account maintained or to be maintained for the class or series of shares into which the shares have been converted or changed.
Marginal note:Stated capital of convertible shares
(4) For the purposes of subsection (3) and subject to the company’s by-laws, where a company issues two classes of shares and there is attached to each class a right to convert a share of one class into a share of the other class and a share is so converted, the amount of stated capital attributable to a share in either class is the aggregate of the stated capital of both classes divided by the number of outstanding shares of both classes immediately before the conversion.
Marginal note:Conversion or change of shares
(5) Shares issued by a company and converted into shares of another class or series, or changed under subsection 238(1) into shares of another class or series, become issued shares of the class or series of shares into which the shares have been converted or changed.
- Date modified: