Marginal note:No requirement to hold shares or policies
169. A director of a company is not required to hold shares of or a policy issued by the company.
Marginal note:Affiliated person
170. The Governor in Council may make regulations specifying the circumstances under which a natural person is affiliated with a company for the purposes of this Act.
Marginal note:Affiliated director determination
170.1 (1) Notwithstanding section 170, the Superintendent may determine that a particular director is affiliated with a company for the purposes of this Act if, in the opinion of the Superintendent, the director has a significant or sufficient commercial, business or financial relationship with the company or with an affiliate of the company to the extent that the relationship can be construed as being material to the director and can reasonably be expected to affect the exercise of the director’s best judgment.
Marginal note:Notification by Superintendent
(2) A determination by the Superintendent under subsection (1)
(a) becomes effective on the day of the next annual meeting of the shareholders and policyholders unless a notice in writing by the Superintendent revoking the determination is received by the company prior to that day; and
(b) ceases to be in effect on the day of the next annual meeting of the shareholders and policyholders after a notice in writing by the Superintendent revoking the determination is received by the company.
- 1996, c. 6, s. 73.
Marginal note:Unaffiliated directors
171. (1) At the election of directors at each annual meeting of the shareholders and policyholders of a company and at all times until the day of the next annual meeting no more than two thirds of the directors may be persons affiliated with the company.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply where
(a) all the voting shares of a company, other than directors’ qualifying shares, if any, are beneficially owned by a Canadian financial institution incorporated by or under an Act of Parliament; and
(b) there are no policyholders who are entitled to vote.
Marginal note:Determination of affiliation
(3) For the purposes of subsection (1), whether or not a person is affiliated with a company shall be determined as of the day the notice of the annual meeting is sent to shareholders and policyholders pursuant to section 143 and that determination becomes effective on the day of that meeting, and a person shall be deemed to continue to be affiliated or unaffiliated, as the case may be, until the next annual meeting of shareholders and policyholders.
Marginal note:Limit on directors
172. No more than 15 per cent of the directors of a company may, at each director’s election or appointment, be employees of the company or a subsidiary of the company, except that up to four persons who are employees of the company or a subsidiary of the company may be directors of the company if those directors constitute not more than one half of the directors of the company.
- Date modified: