REGISTRATION OF FUEL CONSUMPTION NUMBERS
Marginal note:Application for registration
7. (1) Where a company has established a fuel consumption number in accordance with the prescribed procedure, it may submit an application to the Minister, in prescribed form and containing the prescribed information, requesting registration of that fuel consumption number in respect of the motor vehicles described in the application.
Marginal note:Prescribed procedure must be used
(2) A company shall not submit an application under subsection (1) where the fuel consumption number was not established in accordance with the prescribed procedure.
Marginal note:Minister to register fuel consumption number
(3) Where the Minister receives a duly completed application under subsection (1), he shall forthwith register the fuel consumption number set out in the application.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 113, s. 7.
Marginal note:Prohibition orders re advertising
8. (1) The Minister may, by order, prohibit the use by any company of
(a) a registered fuel consumption number, and
(b) fuel consumption information related to that registered fuel consumption number
in advertising or other representations to the public relating to a motor vehicle if the Minister has reasonable grounds to believe
(c) that the motor vehicle is not, according to its manufacturer’s specifications and according to the prescribed rules, substantially similar to the motor vehicle or vehicles used to establish the registered fuel consumption number,
(d) that the application for registration of the fuel consumption number contained false or misleading information, or
(e) that the fuel consumption number was not established in accordance with the prescribed procedure,
and that, as a result, the registered fuel consumption number does not correctly represent the fuel consumption of that motor vehicle.
Marginal note:When order takes effect
(2) An order under subsection (1) takes effect sixty days after the order is made or on such later date as is fixed by the order.
Marginal note:Revised fuel consumption number
(3) Where the Minister has made an order under subsection (1), the company that had obtained that registered fuel consumption number under section 7 may apply to the Minister for registration of a revised fuel consumption number, and subsections 7(1) and (2) apply to such an application.
Marginal note:Minister’s discretion
(4) Where a company applies under subsection (3) for registration of a revised fuel consumption number, the Minister is not required to register that number if he has reasonable grounds to believe that it does not correctly represent the fuel consumption of the motor vehicle.
Marginal note:Where order deemed not to be contravened
(5) In any prosecution under paragraph 30(1)(b) for contravention of an order made under subsection (1), a company shall be deemed not to have contravened the order if it establishes that it took all reasonable measures
(a) to withdraw the offending advertising or representations; and
(b) to substitute new advertising or representations, with similar distribution, using a registered revised fuel consumption number obtained pursuant to this section.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 113, s. 8.
- Date modified: