An Act to establish a corporation for the administration of the National Arts Centre
Marginal note:Short title
- R.S., c. N-2, s. 1.
2 In this Act,
Board means the Board of Trustees of the Corporation; (conseil)
Centre means the National Arts Centre located in the city of Ottawa; (Centre)
Corporation means the National Arts Centre Corporation continued by section 3; (Société)
Director[Repealed, 2001, c. 34, s. 54]
Minister means such member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada as is designated by the Governor in Council as the Minister for the purposes of this Act; (ministre)
President means the President of the Centre appointed under subsection 6(1); (président)
performing arts means the arts of the theatre and the concert hall, including the creating, staging and performing of drama, music and the dance. (arts d’interprétation)
- R.S., 1985, c. N-3, s. 2;
- 2001, c. 34, s. 54;
- 2006, c. 9, s. 280.
Marginal note:Corporation continued
3 The National Arts Centre Corporation is continued as a corporation consisting of a Board of Trustees composed of a Chairperson, a Vice-Chairperson, the mayors of the cities of Ottawa and Gatineau and six other members to be appointed as provided in subsection 4(2).
- R.S., 1985, c. N-3, s. 3;
- 1995, c. 29, s. 51;
- 2006, c. 9, s. 281.
Members of the Board
Marginal note:Appointment of Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson
Marginal note:Appointment of other members
(2) Each of the members of the Board, other than the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson and the mayors referred to in section 3, shall be appointed by the Governor in Council for a term not exceeding four years.
Marginal note:Eligibility for re-appointment
(3) A person who has served two consecutive terms as Chairperson of the Board, as Vice-Chairperson thereof or as a member appointed under subsection (2) is not, during the twelve months following the completion of the second term, eligible to be re-appointed to the Board in the capacity in which that person served.
Marginal note:Vacancy in membership
(4) A vacancy in the membership of the Board does not impair the right of the remaining members to act.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-3, s. 4;
- 1995, c. 29, ss. 52, 53(E);
- 2006, c. 9, s. 282.
5 (1) Each member of the Board, other than a member who is in receipt of a salary fixed by the Governor in Council, shall be paid by the Corporation, for each day the member attends any meeting of the Board or of any committee of the Board, such remuneration as is fixed by by-law of the Board.
(2) Each member of the Board is entitled to be paid by the Corporation such travel and living expenses incurred by the member in connection with the performance of his duties as are fixed by by-law of the Board.
- R.S., c. N-2, s. 5.
Marginal note:President of the Centre
(2) A person appointed as President is eligible for re-appointment.
(3) The President shall be paid by the Corporation such salary as is fixed by the Governor in Council.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-3, s. 6;
- 2001, c. 34, s. 55.
Marginal note:President chief executive officer
Marginal note:Acting President
(2) If the President is absent or unable to perform the duties of the office of President or that office is vacant, the Board may authorize an officer of the Corporation to act as President.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-3, s. 7;
- 2001, c. 34, ss. 55, 56(F).
Officers and Employees
8 The Corporation may employ such officers and employees and such technical and professional advisers as the Corporation considers necessary for the proper conduct of its activities, at such remuneration and on such other terms and conditions as it deems fit.
- R.S., c. N-2, s. 8.
Objects and Powers of the Corporation
Marginal note:Objects of Corporation
9 (1) The objects of the Corporation are to operate and maintain the Centre, to develop the performing arts in the National Capital Region described in the schedule to the National Capital Act and to assist the Canada Council for the Arts in the development of the performing arts elsewhere in Canada.
(2) In furtherance of its objects, but without limiting the generality of subsection (1), the Corporation may
(a) arrange for and sponsor performing arts activities at the Centre;
(b) encourage and assist in the development of performing arts companies resident at the Centre;
(c) arrange for or sponsor radio and television broadcasts from the Centre and the showing of films in the Centre;
(d) provide accommodation at the Centre, on such terms and conditions as the Corporation may fix, for national and local organizations the objects of which include the development and encouragement of the performing arts in Canada; and
(e) at the request of the Government of Canada or the Canada Council for the Arts, arrange for performances elsewhere in Canada by performing arts companies, whether resident or non-resident in Canada, and arrange for performances outside Canada by performing arts companies resident in Canada.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-3, s. 9;
- 2001, c. 34, s. 16.
Marginal note:Powers of Corporation
10 In carrying out its objects under this Act, the Corporation may
(a) acquire real, personal, movable and immovable property, including securities, and hold, manage or dispose of them as the Corporation may determine;
(a.1) lease as lessee real, personal, movable and immovable property;
(b) acquire by gift, bequest or devise real, personal, movable and immovable property and, despite anything in this Act, expend, administer or dispose of any such property, subject to the terms, if any, on which it was given, bequeathed or devised to the Corporation;
(c) operate restaurants, lounges, parking facilities, shops and other facilities in the Centre, for the use of the public, and lease or otherwise make available, on such terms and conditions as the Corporation sees fit, any such facilities or space therefor;
(d) expend any moneys appropriated by Parliament for the purposes of the Corporation or received by the Corporation from its operation of the Centre, including any moneys received by it from leasing or otherwise making available any facilities or space referred to in paragraph (c); and
(e) generally, do and authorize such things as the Corporation may deem necessary for the attainment of the objects and the exercise of the powers of the Corporation.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-3, s. 10;
- 2001, c. 4, s. 101;
- 2004, c. 25, s. 146(F).
- Date modified: