Marginal note:Corporation continued
3. (1) The corporation called the National Capital Commission is continued, consisting of fifteen members including a Chairperson and a Chief Executive Officer.
Marginal note:Appointment of members
(2) Each member, other than the Chairperson and the Chief Executive Officer, shall be appointed by the Minister, with the approval of the Governor in Council, to hold office during pleasure for a term not exceeding four years that will ensure, as far as possible, the expiration in any one year of the terms of office of not more than one half of the members.
Marginal note:Appointment of Chairperson and Chief Executive Officer
(3) The Chairperson and the Chief Executive Officer shall each be appointed by the Governor in Council to hold office during pleasure for a term that the Governor in Council considers appropriate.
(4) The members, other than the Chairperson and the Chief Executive Officer, shall be appointed as follows:
(a) three, ordinarily resident in the National Capital Region, from local municipalities in Ontario, at least two of whom must be from the city of Ottawa;
(b) two, ordinarily resident in the National Capital Region, from local municipalities in Quebec, at least one of whom shall be from the section of the city of Gatineau that is west of the Gatineau River; and
(c) eight from Canada generally, other than from a city or municipality referred to in either of paragraphs (a) or (b).
(d) and (e) [Repealed, 2002, c. 17, s. 19]
(5) A member is eligible to be appointed from a local municipality if, at the time of the appointment, the member normally resides in that municipality.
(6) A person who has served two consecutive terms as a member, other than as Chief Executive Officer, is not eligible to be re-appointed to the Commission, during the twelve months following the completion of the person’s second term, in the same capacity in which the person served.
(7) A vacancy in the membership of the Commission does not impair the right of the remaining members to act.
Marginal note:Members not contributors for superannuation
(8) The Public Service Superannuation Act does not apply to a member unless the Governor in Council otherwise directs.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-4, s. 3;
- R.S., 1985, c. 1 (4th Supp.), s. 44(E);
- 1995, c. 29, ss. 54, 55(E);
- 2002, c. 17, s. 19;
- 2006, c. 9, s. 285.
Marginal note:Agent of Her Majesty
4. The Commission is, for all purposes of this Act, an agent of Her Majesty.
- R.S., c. N-3, s. 4;
- 1984, c. 31, s. 14.
- Date modified: