Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada Act
S.C. 2001, c. 29
Assented to 2001-12-18
An Act to establish the Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada and to make consequential amendments to other Acts
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
Marginal note:Short title
TRANSPORTATION APPEAL TRIBUNAL OF CANADA
2. (1) There is hereby established a tribunal to be known as the Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada (“the Tribunal”).
Marginal note:Jurisdiction generally
(2) The Tribunal has jurisdiction in respect of reviews and appeals as expressly provided for under the Aeronautics Act, the Canada Shipping Act, 2001, the Marine Transportation Security Act, the Railway Safety Act and any other federal Act regarding transportation.
Marginal note:Jurisdiction in respect of other Acts
(3) The Tribunal also has jurisdiction in respect of reviews and appeals in connection with administrative monetary penalties provided for under sections 177 to 181 of the Canada Transportation Act, sections 43 to 55 of the International Bridges and Tunnels Act and sections 129.01 to 129.19 of the Canada Marine Act.
- 2001, c. 29, ss. 2, 71;
- 2007, c. 1, s. 59;
- 2008, c. 21, s. 65.
3. (1) The Governor in Council shall appoint as members of the Tribunal persons who, in the opinion of the Governor in Council, collectively have expertise in the transportation sectors in respect of which the federal government has jurisdiction.
Marginal note:Full- or part-time members
(2) Members may be appointed as full-time or part-time members.
Marginal note:Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson
4. The Governor in Council shall designate one member as Chairperson of the Tribunal and one member as Vice-Chairperson. The Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson must be full-time members.
Marginal note:Duties of Chairperson
5. (1) The Chairperson is the chief executive officer of the Tribunal and has supervision over, and direction of, the work of the members and staff of the Tribunal, including
(a) the apportionment of work among members and the assignment of members to hear matters brought before the Tribunal and, when the Tribunal sits in panels, the assignment of members to panels and to preside over panels; and
(b) generally, the conduct of the work of the Tribunal and the management of its internal affairs.
Marginal note:Absence of Chairperson
(2) In the event of the absence or incapacity of the Chairperson or if the office of Chairperson is vacant, the Vice-Chairperson shall act as Chairperson during the continuance of that absence or incapacity or until a new Chairperson is designated.
- Date modified: