An Act respecting Crown lands in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut
Marginal note:Short title
- R.S., c. T-6, s. 1.
2 In this Act,
Crown means Her Majesty in right of Canada; (Couronne)
grant means letters patent under the Great Seal, a notification and any other instrument by which territorial lands may be granted in fee simple or for an equivalent estate; (concession)
judge of the Court
judge of the Court means, in relation to any matter arising in the Yukon Territory, a judge of the Supreme Court of the Yukon Territory, in relation to any matter arising in the Northwest Territories, a judge of the Supreme Court of the Northwest Territories, and, in relation to any matter arising in Nunavut, a judge of the Nunavut Court of Justice; (juge)
land includes mines, minerals, easements, servitudes and all other interests in real property; (terre)
Minister means the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development or, in respect of any matter related to the Northern Pipeline referred to in the Northern Pipeline Act, the member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada designated as the Minister for the purposes of that Act; (ministre)
notification means a direction in a form prescribed by the Governor in Council pursuant to paragraph 23(k) and issued pursuant to subsection 9(2); (notification)
penalty means an administrative monetary penalty imposed under this Act for a violation; (pénalité)
permit means a permit issued under this Act; (permis)
territorial lands means lands, or any interest in lands, in the Northwest Territories or Nunavut that are vested in the Crown or of which the Government of Canada has power to dispose. (terres territoriales)
timber[Repealed, 2002, c. 7, s. 239]
- R.S., 1985, c. T-7, s. 2;
- 1993, c. 28, s. 78;
- 1999, c. 3, s. 83;
- 2002, c. 7, s. 239;
- 2014, c. 2, s. 74.
(2) Sections 9 and 12 to 16 and paragraph 23(k) apply to territorial lands under the administration and control of the Commissioner of Nunavut.
Marginal note:Application of certain Acts
(4) [Repealed, 2002, c. 7, s. 240]
- R.S., 1985, c. T-7, s. 3;
- R.S., 1985, c. 7 (3rd Supp.), s. 2;
- 1991, c. 50, s. 45;
- 1993, c. 28, s. 78, c. 41, s. 13;
- 2000, c. 32, s. 66;
- 2002, c. 7, s. 240;
- 2014, c. 2, s. 29.
Land Management Zones
Marginal note:Land management zones
4 Subject to section 6, the Governor in Council may, where the Governor in Council deems it necessary for the protection of the ecological balance or physical characteristics of any area in the Northwest Territories or Nunavut, set apart and appropriate any territorial lands in that area as a land management zone.
- R.S., 1985, c. T-7, s. 4;
- 1993, c. 28, s. 78;
- 2002, c. 7, s. 241.
Marginal note:Regulations concerning zones
5 Subject to section 6, the Governor in Council may make regulations respecting
(a) the protection, control and use of the surface of land in a land management zone set apart and appropriated under section 4; and
(b) the issue of permits for the use of the surface of land in a land management zone, the terms and conditions of those permits and the fees therefor.
- R.S., c. 48(1st Supp.), s. 24.
6 The Governor in Council may exercise the powers mentioned in sections 4 and 5 only after consultation with the Legislative Assembly of the Northwest Territories or Nunavut, as the case may be, or — if it considers that consultation to be impracticable — after consultation with each of the members of the relevant Legislative Assembly with whom consultation can be effected.
- R.S., 1985, c. T-7, s. 6;
- 1993, c. 28, s. 78;
- 2002, c. 7, s. 242;
- 2014, c. 2, s. 30.
Marginal note:Principal offences
(1.1) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1) is liable on summary conviction,
Marginal note:Continuing offences
(2) An offence under subsection (1) that is committed or continued on more than one day constitutes a separate offence for each day on which it is committed or continued.
- R.S., 1985, c. T-7, s. 7;
- 2014, c. 2, s. 75.
Sale or Lease of Territorial Lands
Marginal note:Authorizing sale, lease, etc.
8 Subject to this Act, the Governor in Council may authorize the sale, lease or other disposition of territorial lands and may make regulations authorizing the Minister to sell, lease or otherwise dispose of territorial lands subject to such limitations and conditions as the Governor in Council may prescribe.
- R.S., c. T-6, s. 4.
9 (1) In this section, the expressions certificate of title and registrar have the meanings assigned by any law of the Legislature of the Northwest Territories or for Nunavut, as the case may be, in respect of title to real property.
Marginal note:Issue of notification
(2) A notification may be issued to a registrar directing the registrar to issue a certificate of title to a person named therein in respect of territorial lands described therein that are within the registration district administered by the registrar.
Marginal note:Execution of notification
(3) A notification pursuant to subsection (2) shall be signed and issued,
(a) in the case of territorial lands described in subsection 3(1), by the Minister, the Deputy Minister or any other officer of the Department authorized in writing for that purpose by the Minister; and
(b) in the case of territorial lands described in subsection 3(2), by the Commissioner of Nunavut.
Marginal note:Effect of issue of notification
(4) The issue of a notification pursuant to subsection (2) has the same force and effect as a grant of territorial land made by letters patent under the Great Seal.
Marginal note:Notification to set out nature of grant
(5) A notification shall set out the nature of the estate thereby granted and any easements, rights or other interests excepted or reserved therefrom.
- R.S., 1985, c. T-7, s. 9;
- 1993, c. 28, s. 78, c. 41, s. 14;
- 2002, c. 7, s. 243;
- 2014, c. 2, s. 31.
- Date modified: