ESTABLISHMENT AND MANDATE OF THE AGENCY
Marginal note:Agency established
3. (1) The Canada Border Services Agency is established as a body corporate.
Marginal note:Agent of Her Majesty
(2) The Agency is for all purposes an agent of Her Majesty in right of Canada.
Marginal note:Head office
Marginal note:Mandate of Agency
5. (1) The Agency is responsible for providing integrated border services that support national security and public safety priorities and facilitate the free flow of persons and goods, including animals and plants, that meet all requirements under the program legislation, by
(a) supporting the administration or enforcement, or both, as the case may be, of the program legislation;
(b) implementing agreements between the Government of Canada or the Agency and a foreign state or a public body performing a function of government in a foreign state to carry out an activity, provide a service or administer a tax or program;
(c) implementing agreements between the Government of Canada or the Agency and the government of a province or other public body performing a function of the Government in Canada to carry out an activity, provide a service or administer a tax or program;
(d) implementing agreements or arrangements between the Agency and departments or agencies of the Government of Canada to carry out an activity, provide a service or administer a program; and
(e) providing cooperation and support, including advice and information, to other departments and agencies of the Government of Canada to assist them in developing, evaluating and implementing policies and decisions in relation to program legislation for which they have responsibility.
(2) The Agency may provide support, through the provision of services, to departments and agencies for which the Minister is responsible, in accordance with agreements or arrangements entered into with those departments and agencies.
Marginal note:Minister responsible
6. (1) The Minister is responsible for the Agency.
Marginal note:Delegation by Minister
(2) The Minister may delegate to any person any power, duty or function conferred on the Minister under this Act or under the program legislation.
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply if an Act of Parliament other than this Act authorizes the Minister to delegate the power, duty or function to any person or authorizes any person to exercise or perform it.
(4) Subsection (2) does not apply in respect of a power to make regulations.
- Date modified: