Algoma Central Railway Traffic Rules and Regulations
C.R.C., c. 1375
Algoma Central Railway Traffic Rules and Regulations (by-Law "BB" 1954)
1. These Rules and Regulations may be cited as the Algoma Central Railway Traffic Rules and Regulations.
2. No person shall travel in any of the company's trains without having procured from the company or from some other company or person duly authorized in that behalf by the company, a transportation authority entitling him to travel therein.
3. Every passenger shall show his transportation authority whenever and so often as he shall be required to do so, to the conductor or any duly authorized servant of the company, and if such passenger fails to do so, he shall forthwith pay the regular fare from the place where he got on the train to his destination.
4. Any person, who refuses to produce his transportation authority or pay his fare when requested by the conductor or other authorized servant of the company to do so, may be removed from the train with his baggage at any usual stopping place, provided that the conductor shall first stop the train, and shall use no unnecessary force.
5. No person who is intoxicated or otherwise unable to take care of himself, will be furnished with a ticket or be allowed to enter or remain in or upon any car, train, station, or other premises owned or occupied by the company, and any person violating this section may, in addition to any other liability thereby incurred, be forthwith removed from such station or other premises owned or occupied by the company and, in the case of a moving train be removed at any usual stopping place.
6. Passengers, and all other persons using the cars, trains, stations or other premises owned or occupied by the company, shall conduct themselves with propriety, and shall obey the reasonable requests of the station master, conductor or other servants of the company with the view of thereby promoting the general comfort and convenience, and of maintaining order and decorum.
7. No passenger shall occupy more seat space in a passenger car than is sufficient for one person, or place baggage or articles of any kind upon the seats so as to exclude or cause inconvenience to other passengers, or place any unreasonably heavy or bulky parcels or articles in the parcel racks.
8. Any person in or upon a car, train, station, platform or elsewhere upon premises owned or occupied by the company who is in a state of intoxication, or who is guilty of fighting or of other disorderly conduct, or of using foul, profane, obscene or abusive language, or of otherwise in any way wilfully interfering with the safety, comfort or convenience of other passengers is guilty of an offence under this section. In addition to any other liability incurred under this section, such person may be summarily ejected from such station or other premises of the company, and, in the case of a moving train, may be removed from the train, at any usual stopping place. The conductor, or any servant of the company, may restrain passengers and other persons upon trains from fighting or from using foul, profane, obscene or abusive language, or from conducting themselves in a disorderly manner; provided that the conductor or other servant of the company shall use no unnecessary force.
9. No person shall sell beer, wine, spirits or intoxicating liquor of any kind upon any car, train, vehicle, station or other premises owned or occupied by the company, and unless duly authorized, no person, while in or upon any car, train, vehicle, station or other premises owned or occupied by the company, shall advertise, expose, or offer for sale any article, goods or merchandise whatever, or shall advertise, solicit custom or canvass for, or carry on any business, trade, occupation, calling or employment of any description, or shall solicit alms, reward or charity for himself or for any other person.
10. No person shall smoke in any car or station, or in any part of a car or station, not specially set apart or provided for that purpose, or in or upon any part of the trains or premises of the company, where smoking is expressly prohibited.
11. Gambling or the playing of any game of cards or chance for money in or upon any car, train, station or premises owned or occupied by the company is prohibited, and any person failing to cease such gambling, or the playing of such game of cards or chance for money, when requested to do so by the conductor or other servant of the company, may be removed from the train at any usual stopping place, or from such station or other premises owned or occupied by the company.
12. No person shall write obscene or offensive words, or make signs or pictures, on the walls or any part of any car, train, station, platform or other part of the company's premises, or commit any nuisance therein or thereon, or in any way wilfully damage, mark, deface or destroy any car, station platform or other property of the company.
13. Spitting in passenger stations, waiting rooms, toilets and lavatory facilities, or other premises of the company, and in or upon the platforms of cars in which passengers may travel, except in receptacles suitable for the purpose, is prohibited.
14. No person, except a servant or agent of the company in the performance of his duty, shall open any vestibule door or stand upon the steps or platform of any car while it is in motion, or get on or alight from, or attempt to get on or alight from, any such car while it is in motion; and no person, unless duly authorized, shall travel or be in any baggage car or other car not intended for the conveyance of passengers.
15. Except with the permission of a duly authorized officer of the company, and subject to the conditions imposed by such officer, or by any order of the Canadian Transport Commission, no person suffering, or appearing to suffer, from an infectious or contagious disease or disorder shall enter or remain in or on any car, train, vehicle, station or other premises owned or occupied by the company, and no person who has charge or custody of any such person shall cause or permit such person to enter or remain in or on any car, train, vehicle, station or other premises of the company.
16. No person shall take or carry, into any car, train, vehicle or station owned or occupied by the company any loaded firearm, or any inflammable, corrosive or offensive article, substance, matter or liquid, or any substance, matter or liquid likely to explode or to become dangerous or offensive to any passenger or property.
17. No person shall throw or drop from any car, train, or vehicle of the company any article or thing capable of injuring, damaging or endangering any person or property.
18. Private carriages, automobiles, omnibuses, cabs, trucks, or other vehicles, while waiting at, in, or upon any station, wharf, or other property owned or occupied by the company, shall be stationed or parked in such place or places as may be directed by the station master, agent or constable, and every person having charge of such vehicles shall obey the directions of the station master, agent, or constable relating to the use of the company's premises.
19. (1) Every person violating any of the foregoing provisions of these Rules and Regulations shall be liable for every such offence to a penalty, enforceable on summary conviction, not exceeding $40.
(2) The company may summarily interfere, using reasonable force where necessary, to prevent violation of any of the provisions of these Rules and Regulations, or to enforce observance thereof, and such interference shall not affect any penalty for which such person may otherwise be liable.
- Date modified: