Assistance Fund (W.V.A. and C.W.A.) Regulations
C.R.C., c. 1578
Regulations Respecting Assistance Fund (War Veterans Allowances and Civilian War Allowances)
2. In these Regulations,
“Act” means the War Veterans Allowance Act; (Loi)
- “Assistance Fund”
“Assistance Fund” means the moneys appropriated by Parliament for the provision of assistance in accordance with these Regulations; (fonds de secours)
“Committee” means the Assistance Fund Committee. (Comité)
ASSISTANCE FUND COMMITTEE
3. (1) There shall be at the head office of the Department of Veterans Affairs an Assistance Fund Committee composed of
(a) the Director, Program Operations, Veterans Services, Department of Veterans Affairs, who shall be chairman, or in his absence the Acting Director;
(b) the Assistant Director, Program Operations, Benefit Administration, or in his absence the Acting Assistant Director; and
(c) the Assistant Director, Program Operations, Client Services, or in his absence the Acting Assistant Director.
(2) The Chief, Economic Support Benefits, Veterans Services Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs shall be the Secretary of the Committee.
- SOR/80-567, s. 1.
4. The District Authority appointed under the provisions of the Act in each district of the Department of Veterans Affairs shall be responsible to the Committee for the administration of the Assistance Fund.
5. The Committee shall
(a) coordinate the work of District Authorities with respect to the administration of the Assistance Fund;
(b) allocate moneys from the Assistance Fund to District Authorities as required;
(c) issue instructions governing the administration of the Assistance Fund for the guidance of District Authorities;
(d) report to the Minister of Veterans Affairs on the operation of District Authorities with respect to the administration of the Assistance Fund; and
(e) recommend to the Minister desirable changes in, or additions to, these Regulations.
6. The Secretary of a District Authority shall keep such record of its meetings with respect to the administration of the Assistance Fund as the Committee shall direct.
7. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the Minister of Veterans Affairs may grant financial assistance from the Assistance Fund to a recipient under the Act or under Part XI of the Civilian Warrelated Benefits Act if that person
(a) is a resident of Canada; and
(b) makes an application to the Minister demonstrating that the assistance is required to meet an emergency or an unexpected financial contingency or to relieve financial distress.
(2) The assistance shall not exceed the sum of one thousand dollars during any calendar year.
- SOR/80-567, s. 2;
- .SOR/2005-282, s. 1.
- Date modified: