30 [Revoked, SOR/90-468, s. 2]
31 Unless otherwise specified in the invitation to tender under section 5 or in the lease issued pursuant to section 6 or 19, every lessee shall pay royalties on all minerals to which he is entitled that have been obtained from his lease area at the rate of five per cent of
(a) the gross revenue from the mineral output at the pithead, where the minerals are sold at the lease area before treatment; or
(b) the market value of the mineral output at the pithead, where the minerals are not sold at the lease area before treatment.
32 Notwithstanding section 31, the rate of royalty may be altered by agreement between the Division Chief and the lessee from a rate based on a percentage of the gross revenue or of the market value to the equivalent rate per ton or per cubic yard of the mineral output at the pithead.
33 Any royalty rate based upon a weight or measure of mineral output shall be adjusted annually to conform to changes in a price index or other index that is published by Statistics Canada and is chosen by the Division Chief.
34 (1) During the term of his lease and any renewal thereof, a lessee shall forward to the Supervisor within 30 days after the expiry of each period of production a royalty payment in favour of the Receiver General in respect of that period together with a statement in duplicate showing the production and sales figures upon which the payment has been calculated.
(2) Where the Supervisor is not satisfied with the amount of a royalty payment or with a statement forwarded by a lessee pursuant to subsection (1), he may require the lessee to submit further particulars in relation to the statement and, if then required by the Supervisor, the lessee shall adjust the amount of the royalty payment.
(3) A period of production consists of the three calendar months ending on the last day of March, June, September and December or of such other period of time as the Supervisor may determine.
Notice of Production
35 Every lessee, within 10 days from the commencement of production of any mineral from his lease area, shall
(a) notify the Supervisor of the commencement of production; and
(b) submit to the Supervisor such information with respect to his mining operations and production as the Supervisor may require.
Penalty and Cancellation
36 (1) Where a lessee fails to pay rental as required by section 24 or to surrender his lease within 30 days from the date on which the rental becomes payable, he is liable to a penalty of five per cent of the amount of his rental.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), where in the opinion of the Division Chief a lessee has failed in respect of his lease to comply with any provision of these Regulations, the Division Chief may forward to the lessee written notice by registered mail advising him that unless he commences to remedy the failure within 30 days from the date of the mailing of the notice and continues diligently to remedy the failure his lease may be cancelled by the Minister.
(3) Where a lessee has received a notice pursuant to subsection (2), he may, within 30 days from the date of the mailing of the notice, make written application to the Minister for a hearing to consider reasons why his lease should not be cancelled.
(4) Upon receipt of an application made pursuant to subsection (3), the Minister shall appoint a time and place for a hearing and shall notify the lessee by registered mail of the time and place of the hearing not less than 10 days before the date thereof.
(5) Where, in the opinion of the Minister, a lessee has failed to comply with the requirements of a notice mailed to him pursuant to subsection (2), or at a hearing held pursuant to this section does not show adequate reason why his lease should not be cancelled, the Minister shall cancel his lease.
37 The Division Chief may authorize the grouping of
(a) a permit area or a lease area within a reserve with other permit areas or lease areas within the same reserve for the purpose of
(b) a lease area within a reserve with other lease areas within the same reserve for the purpose of qualifying for a renewal under subsection 23(2) or (3).
38 The Minister may authorize the grouping of a permit area or a lease area in a reserve with a permit area or lease area in another reserve or with a tract of land outside a reserve for the purpose of development or production of minerals under these Regulations, where councils of the bands for whose use and benefit the lands have been set apart in which the permit areas or lease areas are located, have approved a formula for determining the participation of the bands in revenues and other benefits derived from such development or production of minerals.
(2) Where an assignment of a permit or lease
(a) has been approved by the Minister,
(b) is unconditional, and
(c) is accompanied by the registration fee set out in the schedule payable to the Receiver General,
the assignment shall be registered in the register kept pursuant to section 55 of the Act.
40 (1) Where a permittee or lessee has complied with these Regulations and with the terms and conditions of his permit or lease, he may at any time surrender all or part of his permit area or lease area.
(2) Subject to subsection 10(2), where a permit or lease is surrendered under subsection (1), no rental paid in relation to that permit or lease shall be returned to the permittee or lessee.
Use of Land Surface
41 Where a person requires entry to a reserve in respect of which minerals have been surrendered or where a permittee or lessee requires use of land surface in a reserve for the purpose of development or production of minerals, he shall obtain a right of entry or right to use the land in accordance with any provisions that may be made by the Minister under the Act.
(a) enter upon and inspect any permit area, lease area or buildings and equipment thereon;
(b) require a permittee or lessee to produce any technical, financial and other records relating to the exploration for or production of minerals from his permit area or lease area; and
(c) take samples of minerals being produced and carry out any examination that, in his opinion, is necessary.
(2) Every permittee or lessee shall render such assistance as the Supervisor may require in the performance of his duties.
43 (1) Upon the termination of his permit or extension thereof or of his lease or renewal thereof and at such other times as the Supervisor may request, a permittee or lessee, as the case may be, shall submit to the Supervisor plans and sections that show
(2) All plans and sections submitted pursuant to subsection (1) shall be submitted in duplicate and shall be drawn on a scale of one inch to 100 feet or on such other scale as the Supervisor may determine.
(3) Where plans and sections submitted pursuant to subsection (1) are not satisfactory to the Supervisor, the Supervisor may require the permittee or lessee to submit further plans and sections.
44 Any technical information submitted by a permittee or lessee pursuant to these Regulations shall not, without the written consent of the permittee or lessee, be disclosed unless that information
(a) relates only to a permit area or a portion thereof in respect of which the permit has expired or has been surrendered; or
(b) relates only to a lease area or a portion thereof in respect of which the lease has expired or has been surrendered or cancelled.
Payment of Tax
45 Every permittee and every lessee shall pay all rates, assessments and taxes in respect of his permit area or lease area, and in respect of his operations under his permit or lease.
- Date modified: