Use of Artificial Light
11. No person shall use an artificial light to attract fish except
(a) to fish for lake herring, lake whitefish or smelt by any means other than by angling; or
(b) when angling, as part of a lure attached to a line.
Release of Fish
12. A person, other than a person fishing under a commercial fishing licence, who catches a fish, other than an invasive fish, the retention or possession of which is prohibited by these Regulations shall immediately return the fish to the waters from which it was caught and, if the fish is alive, release it in a manner that causes the least harm to that fish.
Variation of Close Times, Fishing Quotas and Size Limits
13. (1) If a close time, fishing quota or limit on the size of fish is fixed in respect of an area, the provincial Minister may, by order, vary that close time, fishing quota or limit in respect of the area or any portion of the area.
(2) If a close time, fishing quota or limit on the size of fish is varied, the provincial Minister shall give notice of the variation to the persons affected or likely to be affected by the variation by one or more of the following methods:
(a) broadcasting the notice over a radio station;
(b) publishing the notice in a newspaper;
(c) posting the notice in the area or in the vicinity of the area affected by the variation;
(d) giving written or oral notice;
(e) transmitting or posting the notice by electronic means; or
(f) publishing the notice in the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources summary of regulations pertaining to sport fishing.
Sport Fishing Methods
14. No person shall sport fish other than by angling or by means of a spear, dip net, baitfish trap, seine net, or bow and arrow.
Angling Close Times
15. No person shall angle for, or catch by angling and retain, fish of a species set out in column 1 of Schedule 2 in the waters set out in column 2 during the close time set out in column 3.
Angling Quotas and Size Limits
16. Subject to sections 19 to 21, no person who is fishing under a sport fishing licence or a conservation fishing licence shall catch and retain in any one day, or possess, fish of a species set out in column 2 of Part 1 of Schedule 3 from the waters set out in column 1,
(a) in an amount that exceeds the sport fishing licence quota or of a size that does not comply with the size limit set out in column 3; or
(b) in an amount that exceeds the conservation fishing licence quota or of a size that does not comply with the size limit set out in column 4.
Provincial Possession Limits
17. Subject to section 18, no person shall possess more fish of a species set out in column 1 of Part 2 of Schedule 3 from the waters of all zones combined than the possession limit set out in column 2.
Provincial trout and salmon Aggregate Quota
18. No person shall catch and retain in any one day, or possess, a quantity of trout or salmon from the waters of all zones combined that in the aggregate is greater than
(a) five, when fishing under a sport fishing licence; or
(b) two, when fishing under a conservation fishing licence.
- Date modified: