Sale and Transportation
13. (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall buy, sell, trade or barter the edible parts of a cetacean or walrus.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of buying, selling, trading or bartering by
(a) an Indian or Inuk other than a beneficiary, within the Northwest Territories, the Yukon Territory, Quebec or Newfoundland; or
(b) a beneficiary, if the purchase, sale, trade or barter is carried out in accordance with the terms of the agreement under which the beneficiary is enrolled.
14. No person shall buy, sell, trade, barter or possess a narwhal tusk unless the licence under the authority of which the narwhal was taken is attached to the tusk.
15. The Minister shall, on application, issue a marine mammal transportation licence
(a) authorizing a person to take or carry edible marine mammal parts from one province to another for the personal use of that person or the members of that person’s family;
(b) in respect of non-edible marine mammal parts; or
(c) in respect of any marine mammal or marine mammal parts to be used for experimental, scientific, educational or public display purposes.
16. (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall take or carry marine mammals or marine mammal parts from one province to another except under the authority of a marine mammal transportation licence issued by the Minister.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply
(a) to a person who fishes for marine mammals in one province and resides in another province and who is taking or carrying his catch to his place of residence; or
(b) in respect of seals or seal parts taken from any of Sealing Areas 4 to 33.
Records and Reporting
17. (1) Every person who is authorized under these Regulations to fish for cetaceans or walrus shall keep a record for a period of two years of any cetacean or walrus taken and shall produce that record for examination when requested to do so by a fishery officer.
(2) The record referred to in subsection (1) shall contain the time and place at which the cetacean or walrus was taken and the species, sex and colour of the cetacean or walrus.
17.1 In this Part, “strike” means to wound a cetacean but be unable to retrieve it from the water.
- SOR/2003-103, s. 4.
18. No person shall fish for a beluga calf, bowhead calf or narwhal calf or for an adult beluga, bowhead whale or narwhal that is accompanied by a calf.
19. No person shall fish for cetaceans with a firearm unless the person uses
(a) a rifle and bullets that are not full metal-jacketed that produce a muzzle energy of not less than 1,500 foot pounds; or
(b) a shotgun and rifled slugs that produce a muzzle energy of not less than 1,500 foot pounds.
- Date modified: