Antarctic Environmental Protection Act
Marginal note:Authority to issue warrant for search and seizure
32 (1) If, on ex parte application, a justice is satisfied by information on oath that there are reasonable grounds to believe that there is in any place in Canada
(a) anything by means of or in relation to which any provision of this Act or the regulations has been contravened, or
(b) anything that there are reasonable grounds to believe will afford evidence with respect to the commission of an offence under this Act,
the justice may issue a warrant authorizing an enforcement officer, or any other person named in the warrant, to enter and search the place and to seize anything referred to in paragraph (a) or (b), subject to any conditions that may be specified in the warrant.
Marginal note:Warrant for seizure of vessel or aircraft
(2) If, on ex parte application, a justice is satisfied by information on oath that there are reasonable grounds to believe that an offence has been committed by a Canadian vessel or the pilot in command of a Canadian aircraft, he or she may issue a warrant authorizing an enforcement officer, or authorizing any other person named in the warrant, to seize the vessel or aircraft anywhere in Canada.
Marginal note:Search and seizure
(3) A person authorized by a warrant issued under subsection (1) or (2) may
(a) at any reasonable time, enter and search a place referred to in the warrant;
(b) seize and detain anything referred to in the warrant; and
(c) exercise the powers described in subsections 30(9) and (11).
Marginal note:Where warrant not necessary
(4) An enforcement officer may exercise the powers described in subsection (3) without a warrant if the conditions for obtaining the warrant exist but, by reason of exigent circumstances, it would not be practical to obtain the warrant.
Marginal note:Exigent circumstances
(5) For greater certainty, exigent circumstances include circumstances in which the delay necessary to obtain a warrant under subsection (1) or (2) would result in a danger to human life or the environment or the loss or destruction of evidence.
Marginal note:Operation of computer system and copying equipment
(6) A person authorized under this section to search a place may
(a) use or cause to be used any computer system at the place to search any data contained in or available to the computer system;
(b) reproduce any record or cause it to be reproduced from the data in the form of a printout or other intelligible output;
(c) seize any printout or other output for examination or copying; or
(d) use or cause to be used any copying equipment at the place to make copies of the record.
Marginal note:Duty of person in possession or control
(7) Every person who is in possession or control of a place where a search is carried out under this section shall permit the person carrying out the search to do anything referred to in subsection (6).
- Date modified: