Antarctic Environmental Protection Act
(a) a Canadian vessel has committed an offence under this Act, or
(b) an authorized representative or master of a Canadian vessel has committed an offence under this Act and that a Canadian vessel was used in connection with the commission of the offence,
the enforcement officer may make a detention order in respect of the vessel.
Marginal note:Order in writing
(2) The detention order shall be in writing and be addressed to all persons at any port in Canada where the vessel to which the order relates is or will be who are empowered to give a clearance in respect of the vessel.
Marginal note:Notice of detention order
(3) Notice of the detention order shall be served on the master of the vessel in respect of which the order is made.
Marginal note:Duty of authorized representative or master
(4) If the notice has been served on the master of the vessel, the authorized representative or master of the vessel shall not give an order for the vessel to go into an area of the sea referred to in paragraph 122(2)(f) or (g) of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 during the term of the detention order.
Marginal note:Duty of persons empowered to give clearance
(5) Subject to subsection (6), no person to whom a detention order is addressed shall, after notice of the order is received by the person, give clearance in respect of the vessel to which the order relates.
Marginal note:When clearance given
(6) A person to whom a detention order is addressed and who has received notice of the order may give clearance in respect of the vessel to which the order relates if
(a) the authorized representative or master of the vessel
(b) security for payment of the maximum fine that might be imposed as a result of a conviction of the person charged with that offence and of costs related to proceedings in connection with the charge, or security for payment of any lesser amount that is approved by the Minister or a person designated by the Minister for the purpose, is given to Her Majesty in right of Canada; or
(c) proceedings in respect of the alleged offence that gave rise to the making of the detention order are discontinued.
- Date modified: