Marginal note:Calling meetings
137 (1) The directors of a bank
(a) shall, after the meeting called pursuant to subsection 46(1), call the first annual meeting of shareholders of the bank, which meeting must be held not later than six months after the end of the first financial year of the bank, and subsequently call an annual meeting of shareholders, which meeting must be held not later than six months after the end of each financial year; and
(b) may at any time call a special meeting of shareholders.
Marginal note:Order to delay calling annual meeting
(2) Despite subsection (1), the bank may apply to the court for an order extending the time for calling an annual meeting.
Marginal note:Obligation to notify Superintendent
(3) The bank shall give notice of the application to the Superintendent before any hearing concerning the application and shall provide the Superintendent with a copy of any order that is issued.
Marginal note:Superintendent’s right to appear
(4) The Superintendent is entitled to appear and be heard in person or by counsel at any hearing concerning the application.
Marginal note:Authority to fix record date
(5) The directors may in advance fix a record date, that is within the prescribed period, for the determination of shareholders for any purpose, including for a determination of which shareholders are entitled to
(a) receive payment of a dividend;
(b) participate in a liquidation distribution;
(c) receive notice of a meeting of shareholders; or
(d) vote at a meeting of shareholders.
Marginal note:Determination of record date
(6) If no record date is fixed,
(a) the record date for the determination of shareholders who are entitled to receive notice of a meeting of shareholders is
(i) at the close of business on the day immediately preceding the day on which the notice is given, or
(ii) if no notice is given, the day on which the meeting is held; and
(b) the record date for the determination of shareholders for any other purpose, other than to establish a shareholder’s right to vote, is at the close of business on the day on which the directors pass a resolution in respect of that purpose.
Marginal note:Notice of record date
(7) If a record date is fixed and unless notice of the record date is waived in writing by every holder of a share of the class or series affected whose name is set out in the securities register at the close of business on the day on which the directors fix the record date, notice of the record date shall be given within the prescribed period by
(a) advertisement in a newspaper in general circulation in the place where the bank’s head office is situated and in each place in Canada where the bank has a transfer agent or where a transfer of its shares may be recorded; and
(b) written notice to each stock exchange in Canada on which the bank’s shares are listed for trading.
- 1991, c. 46, s. 137
- 2005, c. 54, s. 17
- Date modified: