Canadian International Trade Tribunal Act
Definition of surge
Marginal note:Filing of surge complaint
(2) A written complaint may be filed with the Tribunal where
(a) any goods are subject to a surtax under subsection 55(1) or 63(1) of the Customs Tariff or are included on the Import Control List under subsection 5(3) or (3.2) of the Export and Import Permits Act; and
(b) the surtax or inclusion does not apply to or include goods imported from a NAFTA country on the basis of a determination made under subsection 20.01(2) or (2.1) of this Act.
(2.1) The complaint must allege that a surge of imports of goods imported from a NAFTA country undermines the effectiveness of the surtax or the inclusion of the goods on the Import Control List.
Marginal note:Who must file complaint
(2.2) The complaint must be filed by a domestic producer of like or directly competitive goods, or a person or association acting on behalf of any such domestic producer.
Marginal note:Contents of complaint
(3) A complaint shall state in reasonable detail the facts on which the allegations are based and shall be accompanied by such information as is available to the complainant to prove those facts and such other information as may be required by the rules.
Marginal note:Commencement of inquiry
(4) The Tribunal shall, within thirty days after the date of receipt of a complaint, commence an inquiry into the complaint if it is satisfied that the information provided by the complainant and any other information examined by the Tribunal disclose a reasonable indication that a surge of imports of goods referred to in subsection (2) is undermining the effectiveness of the surtax or inclusion referred to in that subsection.
Marginal note:Notice of decision
(5) Where the Tribunal decides not to commence an inquiry into a complaint under subsection (4), it shall forthwith notify the complainant and each other interested party in writing of its decision and of the reasons for the refusal to commence an inquiry and, where the reasons for its decision are based in whole or in part on information that was obtained from a source other than the complainant, of the fact that the decision was based in whole or in part on that information.
Marginal note:Surge of imports
(6) The Tribunal shall, in the inquiry, determine whether a surge of imports of goods referred to in subsection (2) is undermining the effectiveness of the surtax or inclusion referred to in that subsection.
(7) The Tribunal shall prepare a report on the inquiry not later than sixty days after the inquiry is commenced and submit copies of it to the Governor in Council, the Minister, the complainant and any person who made representations to the Tribunal during the inquiry.
Marginal note:Notice of report
- 1993, c. 44, s. 44
- 1994, c. 47, s. 37
- 1997, c. 36, s. 199
- Date modified: