Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act
Marginal note:Role of Director
6 (1) The Director, under the direction of the Minister, has the control and management of the Service and all matters connected therewith.
Marginal note:Minister may issue directions
(2) In providing the direction referred to in subsection (1), the Minister may issue to the Director written directions with respect to the Service and a copy of any such direction shall, forthwith after it is issued, be given to the Review Committee.
Marginal note:Directions deemed not to be statutory instruments
(3) Directions issued by the Minister under subsection (2) shall be deemed not to be statutory instruments for the purposes of the Statutory Instruments Act.
Marginal note:Periodic reports by Director
(4) The Director shall, in relation to every 12-month period or any lesser period that is specified by the Minister, submit to the Minister, at any times that the Minister specifies, reports with respect to the Service’s operational activities during that period, and shall cause the Review Committee to be given a copy of each such report.
Marginal note:Measures to reduce threats to the security of Canada
(5) The reports shall include, among other things, the following information in respect of the Service’s operational activities, during the period for which the report is made, to reduce threats to the security of Canada:
(a) for each of the paragraphs of the definition threats to the security of Canada in section 2, a general description of the measures that were taken during the period in respect of the threat within the meaning of that paragraph and the number of those measures;
(b) the number of warrants issued under subsection 21.1(3) during the period and the number of applications for warrants made under subsection 21.1(1) that were refused during the period; and
(c) for each threat to the security of Canada for which warrants have been issued under subsection 21.1(3) before or during the period, a general description of the measures that were taken under the warrants during the period.
(6) The reports shall also include
(a) a general description of the information and intelligence collection activities in the context of which employees designated under subsection 20.1(6) or (8) committed acts or omissions that would otherwise constitute offences;
(b) a general description of those acts or omissions;
(c) the information referred to in paragraphs 20.1(24)(a) to (e); and
(d) information on the training received by employees designated under subsection 20.1(6) or (8) and by senior employees designated under subsection 20.1(7).
- R.S., 1985, c. C-23, s. 6
- 2012, c. 19, s. 379
- 2015, c. 20, s. 40
- 2019, c. 13, s. 95
- Date modified: