Marginal note:Declaration by the Governor in Council in matters of security
20 (1) Notwithstanding anything in this Act, a person shall not be granted citizenship under section 5 or subsection 11(1) or administered the oath of citizenship or be issued a certificate of renunciation under section 9 where, after considering the report made under subsection 19(6) by the Review Committee or the person appointed under subsection 19.1(1), the Governor in Council declares that there are reasonable grounds to believe that the person with respect to whom the report was made will engage in an activity described in paragraph 19(2)(a) or (b).
Marginal note:Effect on applications and appeals
(2) If a person is the subject of a declaration made under subsection (1), any application that has been made by that person under section 5 or 9 or subsection 11(1) is deemed to be refused and any related application for judicial review or appeal is deemed to be dismissed.
Marginal note:Expiration of declaration
(3) A declaration made under subsection (1) ceases to have effect two years after the day on which it was made.
Marginal note:Further declaration
(4) Notwithstanding that a declaration has been previously made under subsection 20(1) with respect to a person, the Governor in Council may, after considering any further application made by that person, make a further declaration under that subsection with respect to that person.
Marginal note:Conclusive proof
(5) Notwithstanding anything in this Act or any other Act of Parliament, a declaration by the Governor in Council under subsection (1) is conclusive of the matters stated therein in relation to an application for citizenship or for the issue of a certificate of renunciation.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-29, s. 20
- 1997, c. 22, s. 3
- 2014, c. 22, s. 16
- Date modified: