Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation Act
Marginal note:Acceleration of termination of deposit insurance
31.1 (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, where, at any time after a notice of termination has been given to a provincial member institution under subsection 31(1), the Corporation concludes that
(a) the financial condition of the provincial member institution has deteriorated since the giving of the notice, and
(b) the interests of depositors will be adversely affected by any further delay in terminating the provincial member institution’s policy of deposit insurance,
the Corporation shall forthwith send a notice by registered mail, or deliver a notice by hand, to the provincial member institution and to the appropriate provincial Minister, to the effect that the deposit insurance of the institution will be terminated on the expiration of a period of five days after the receipt of the notice by the institution.
(2) A provincial member institution to which a notice is sent or delivered under subsection (1) may, by notice in writing sent to and received at the head office of the Corporation before the expiration of the period specified in the notice, request an opportunity to be heard.
Marginal note:Confirmation or revocation
(3) Where a hearing is requested under subsection (2), the Board of Directors of the Corporation or a committee thereof established by the Board for the purpose shall, before the expiration of the period specified in the notice sent or delivered under subsection (1), hear the provincial member institution in such manner as the Board or the committee, as the case may be, deems appropriate and the Board or the committee shall thereafter confirm or revoke the notice.
(4) The Corporation shall revoke a notice sent or delivered under subsection (1) where the appropriate provincial Minister or provincial supervisor, as the case may be, has taken control of the provincial member institution or its assets.
Marginal note:Termination of policy
(5) Unless a notice sent or delivered under subsection (1) is revoked under subsection (3) or (4), the policy of deposit insurance of the provincial member institution to which the notice was sent or delivered shall terminate on the expiration of the period specified in the notice.
Marginal note:Effect of revocation
(6) The revocation of a notice under subsection (3) or (4) does not revoke a notice given under subsection 31(1).
- R.S., 1985, c. 18 (3rd Supp.), s. 62
- 1996, c. 6, s. 37
- Date modified: