Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation Act
Marginal note:Effect of termination or cancellation
34 (1) If the policy of deposit insurance of a member institution is terminated or cancelled by the Corporation, the deposits with the institution on the day the termination or cancellation takes effect, less any withdrawals from those deposits, continue to be insured under the terminated or cancelled policy of deposit insurance for a period of two years or, in the case of a term deposit with a remaining term exceeding two years, to the maturity of the term deposit.
Marginal note:Non-application of continued coverage
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of a deposit with
Marginal note:Corporations not member institutions
(3) A corporation is not considered to be a member institution by reason only that its deposits continue to be insured under subsection (1).
Marginal note:Continuing obligations
(4) Termination or cancellation of a policy of deposit insurance does not relieve a former member institution from obligations and liabilities to the Corporation that have accrued before the termination or cancellation.
Marginal note:Amendment of order
(5) If the policy of deposit insurance of a federal member institution is cancelled by the Corporation under paragraph 33(1)(b) or subsection 33(2), the Superintendent must, under paragraph 54(1)(a) of the Bank Act, paragraph 62(1)(a) of the Cooperative Credit Associations Act or paragraph 58(1)(b) of the Trust and Loan Companies Act, as the case may be, amend the federal member institution’s order approving the commencement and carrying on of business to prohibit the institution from accepting deposits in Canada.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-3, s. 34
- 1996, c. 6, s. 39
- 1999, c. 28, s. 107
- 2007, c. 6, s. 416
- Date modified: