31 (1) In this section,
retransmitter does not include a person who uses Hertzian waves to retransmit a signal but does not perform a function comparable to that of a cable retransmission system; (retransmetteur)
signal means a signal that carries a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work and is transmitted for free reception by the public by a terrestrial radio or terrestrial television station. (signal)
Marginal note:Retransmission of local signals
(2) It is not an infringement of copyright to communicate to the public by telecommunication any literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work if
(a) the communication is a retransmission of a local or distant signal;
(b) the retransmission is lawful under the Broadcasting Act;
(c) the signal is retransmitted simultaneously and in its entirety, except as otherwise required or permitted by or under the laws of Canada; and
(d) in the case of the retransmission of a distant signal, the retransmitter has paid any royalties, and complied with any terms and conditions, fixed under this Act.
(3) The Governor in Council may make regulations defining “local signal” and “distant signal” for the purposes of this section.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-42, s. 31
- R.S., 1985, c. 10 (4th Supp.), s. 7
- 1988, c. 65, s. 63
- 1997, c. 24, ss. 16, 52(F)
- Date modified: