Marginal note:Forgery of or uttering forged passport
(a) forges a passport, or
(b) knowing that a passport is forged
is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.
Marginal note:False statement in relation to passport
(2) Every one who, while in or out of Canada, for the purpose of procuring a passport for himself or any other person or for the purpose of procuring any material alteration or addition to any such passport, makes a written or an oral statement that he knows is false or misleading
Marginal note:Possession of forged, etc., passport
(3) Every one who without lawful excuse, the proof of which lies on him, has in his possession a forged passport or a passport in respect of which an offence under subsection (2) has been committed is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.
Marginal note:Special provisions applicable
(4) For the purposes of proceedings under this section,
Definition of passport
(6) Where a person is alleged to have committed, while out of Canada, an offence under this section, proceedings in respect of that offence may, whether or not that person is in Canada, be commenced in any territorial division in Canada and the accused may be tried and punished in respect of that offence in the same manner as if the offence had been committed in that territorial division.
Marginal note:Appearance of accused at trial
(7) For greater certainty, the provisions of this Act relating to
(a) requirements that an accused appear at and be present during proceedings, and
(b) the exceptions to those requirements,
apply to proceedings commenced in any territorial division pursuant to subsection (6).
- R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 57
- R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 9
- 1992, c. 1, s. 60(F)
- 1994, c. 44, s. 4
- 1995, c. 5, s. 25
- 2013, c. 40, s. 174
- Date modified: