DNA Identification Act
5 (1) The Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness shall, for criminal identification purposes, establish a national DNA data bank, consisting of a crime scene index and a convicted offenders index, to be maintained by the Commissioner.
Marginal note:Commissioner’s duties
(2) The Commissioner’s duties under this Act may be performed on behalf of the Commissioner by any person authorized by the Commissioner to perform those duties.
Marginal note:Crime scene index
(3) The crime scene index shall contain DNA profiles derived from bodily substances that are found
(a) at any place where a designated offence was committed;
(b) on or within the body of the victim of a designated offence;
(c) on anything worn or carried by the victim at the time when a designated offence was committed; or
(d) on or within the body of any person or thing or at any place associated with the commission of a designated offence.
Marginal note:Convicted offenders index
(4) The convicted offenders index shall contain DNA profiles derived from bodily substances that are taken under orders and authorizations.
Marginal note:Other information
(5) In addition to the DNA profiles referred to in subsections (3) and (4), the DNA data bank shall contain, in relation to each of the profiles, information from which can be established
(a) in the case of a profile in the crime scene index, the case number of the investigation associated with the bodily substance from which the profile was derived; and
(b) in the case of a profile in the convicted offenders index, the identity of the person from whose bodily substance the profile was derived.
- 1998, c. 37, s. 5
- 2000, c. 10, s. 6
- 2005, c. 10, s. 34, c. 25, s. 15
- 2007, c. 22, s. 28
- Date modified: