Excise Tax Act
Meaning of commercial goods
212.1 (1) In this section, commercial goods means goods that are imported for sale or for any commercial, industrial, occupational, institutional or other like use.
Marginal note:Tax in participating province
(2) Subject to this Part, every person who is resident in a participating province and is liable under the Customs Act to pay duty on imported goods, or who would be so liable if the goods were subject to duty, shall pay to Her Majesty in right of Canada, in addition to the tax imposed by section 212, a tax on the goods calculated at the tax rate for that province on the value of the goods.
(3) Tax under subsection (2) does not apply to goods that are accounted for as commercial goods under section 32 of the Customs Act, specified motor vehicles or a mobile home or a floating home that has been used or occupied in Canada by any individual.
Marginal note:Application in offshore areas
(4) Subsection (2) does not apply to goods imported by or on behalf of a person who is resident in the Nova Scotia offshore area or the Newfoundland offshore area unless the goods are imported for consumption, use or supply in the course of an offshore activity or the person is also resident in a participating province that is not an offshore area.
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- 1997, c. 10, s. 198
- Date modified: