Excise Tax Act
person does not include a consumer. (personne)
modification de taux
rate change means any change in any rate of tax imposed under this Part. (modification de taux)
tax benefit means a reduction, an avoidance or a deferral of tax or other amount payable under this Part or an increase in a refund or rebate of tax or other amount under this Part. (avantage fiscal)
transaction has the meaning assigned by subsection 274(1). (opération)
Marginal note:Rate change — transactions
(a) a transaction, or a series of transactions, involving property is made between two or more persons, all of whom are not dealing with each other at arm’s length at the time any of those transactions are made,
(b) the transaction, any of the transactions in the series of transactions or the series of transactions would in the absence of this section result directly or indirectly in a tax benefit to one or more of the persons involved in the transaction or series of transactions, and
(c) it may not reasonably be considered that the transaction, or the series of transactions, has been undertaken or arranged primarily for bona fide purposes other than to obtain a tax benefit, arising from a rate change, for one or more of the persons involved in the transaction or series of transactions,
the amount of tax, net tax, input tax credit, rebate or other amount payable by, or refundable to, any of those persons under this Part, or any other amount that is relevant for the purposes of computing that amount shall be determined as is reasonable in the circumstances in order to deny the tax benefit to any of those persons.
Marginal note:Denying tax benefit on transactions
(3) Despite any other provision of this Part, a tax benefit shall only be denied under subsection (2) through an assessment, reassessment or additional assessment.
Marginal note:Request for adjustments
(4) If, with respect to a transaction, a notice of assessment, reassessment or additional assessment involving the application of subsection (2) with respect to the transaction has been sent to a person, any person (other than a person to whom such a notice has been sent) shall be entitled, within one hundred and eighty days after the day on which the notice was mailed, to request in writing that the Minister make an assessment, a reassessment or an additional assessment, applying subsection (2) with respect to that transaction.
Marginal note:Duties of Minister
(5) On receipt of a request by a person under subsection (4), the Minister shall, with all due dispatch, consider the request and, despite subsections 298(1) and (2), assess, reassess or make an additional assessment with respect to the person, except that an assessment, a reassessment or an additional assessment may be made under this subsection only to the extent that it may reasonably be regarded as relating to the transaction referred to in subsection (4).
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- 2006, c. 4, s. 32
- Date modified: