Excise Tax Act
Marginal note:Payment for end-users — diesel fuel
68.01 (1) If tax under this Act has been paid in respect of diesel fuel, the Minister may pay an amount equal to the amount of that tax
(a) in the case where a vendor delivers the diesel fuel to a purchaser
(i) to the vendor, if the vendor applies for the payment, the purchaser certifies that the diesel fuel is for use exclusively as heating oil and the vendor reasonably believes that the purchaser will use it exclusively as heating oil,
(ii) to the purchaser, if the purchaser applies for the payment, the purchaser uses the diesel fuel as heating oil and no application in respect of the diesel fuel can be made by the vendor under subparagraph (i); or
(b) to a purchaser who applies for the payment and who uses the diesel fuel to generate electricity, unless the diesel fuel is used in or by a vehicle, including a conveyance attached to the vehicle, of any mode of transportation.
Marginal note:Payment for end-users — fuel used as ships’ stores
(2) If tax under this Act has been paid in respect of fuel and no application is made in respect of the fuel by any person under section 68.17 or 70, the Minister may pay an amount equal to the amount of that tax to a purchaser who applies for the payment and who uses the fuel as ships’ stores.
Marginal note:Timing of application
(3) No payment shall be made under this section unless
(a) the vendor described in subparagraph (1)(a)(i) applies for it within two years after the vendor sells the diesel fuel to the purchaser described in paragraph (1)(a); or
(b) the purchaser described in subparagraph (1)(a)(ii), paragraph (1)(b) or subsection (2) applies for it within two years after the purchase.
(4) The Minister is not required to make a payment under this section unless the Minister is satisfied that all the conditions for the payment have been met.
Marginal note:Deemed tax payable
(5) If, under this section, the Minister pays an amount to a person to which that person is not entitled, or pays an amount to a person in excess of the amount to which that person is entitled, the amount of the payment or the excess is deemed to be a tax payable by that person under this Act on the day on which the Minister made the payment.
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- 2007, c. 29, s. 43
- 2016, c. 7, s. 74
- Date modified: