Canada Elections Act
Marginal note:Registration requirement for third parties
Marginal note:Application for registration
(2) An application for registration shall be sent to the Chief Electoral Officer in the prescribed form and shall include
(a) the name, address and telephone number of
(b) the signature of the individual, officer or person referred to in subparagraph (a)(i), (ii) or (iii), respectively, as the case may be;
(c) the address and telephone number of the office of the third party where its books and records are kept and of the office to which communications may be addressed; and
(d) the name, address and telephone number of the third party’s financial agent.
Marginal note:Declaration of financial agent to accompany application
(3) An application under subsection (2) must be accompanied by a declaration signed by the financial agent accepting the appointment.
Marginal note:New financial agent
(4) If a third party’s financial agent is replaced, it shall, without delay, provide the Chief Electoral Officer with the new financial agent’s name, address and telephone number and a declaration signed by the new financial agent accepting the appointment.
Marginal note:Trade union or corporation
(5) If the third party is a trade union, corporation or other entity with a governing body, the application must include a copy of the resolution passed by its governing body authorizing it to incur election advertising expenses.
Marginal note:Examination of application
(6) The Chief Electoral Officer shall, without delay after receiving an application, determine whether the requirements set out in subsections (1) to (3) and (5) are met and shall then notify the person who signed the application whether the third party is registered. In the case of a refusal to register, the Chief Electoral Officer shall give reasons for the refusal.
Marginal note:Application rejected
(7) A third party may not be registered under a name that, in the opinion of the Chief Electoral Officer, is likely to be confused with the name of a candidate, registered party, registered third party or eligible party.
Marginal note:Registration ends
(8) The registration of a third party is valid only for the election period during which the application is made, but the third party continues to be subject to the requirement to file an election advertising report under subsection 359(1).
- Date modified: