Marginal note:Review of order
57 (1) Despite the Federal Court Act, the court of appeal of the province in which the committal of the person was ordered has exclusive original jurisdiction to hear and determine applications for judicial review under this Act, made in respect of the decision of the Minister under section 40.
(2) An application for judicial review may be made by the person.
Marginal note:Time limitation
(3) An application for judicial review shall be made, in accordance with the rules of court of the court of appeal, within 30 days after the time the decision referred to in subsection (1) was first communicated by the Minister to the person, or within any further time that the court of appeal, either before or after the expiry of those 30 days, may fix or allow.
Marginal note:Section 679 of the Criminal Code
Marginal note:Hearing of application
(5) An application for judicial review shall be scheduled for hearing by the court of appeal at an early date whether that date is in or out of the prescribed sessions of that court.
Marginal note:Powers of court of appeal
(6) On an application for judicial review, the court of appeal may
(a) order the Minister to do any act or thing that the Minister has unlawfully failed or refused to do or has unreasonably delayed in doing; or
(b) declare invalid or unlawful, quash, set aside, set aside and refer back for determination in accordance with any directions that it considers appropriate, prohibit or restrain the decision of the Minister referred to in subsection (1).
Marginal note:Grounds of review
(7) The court of appeal may grant relief under this section on any of the grounds on which the Trial Division of the Federal Court of Canada may grant relief under subsection 18.1(4) of the Federal Court Act.
Marginal note:Defect in form or technical irregularity
(8) If the sole ground for relief established in an application for judicial review is a defect in form or a technical irregularity, the court of appeal may
Marginal note:One hearing by court of appeal
(9) If an appeal under section 49 or any other appeal in respect of a matter arising under this Act is pending, the court of appeal may join the hearing of that appeal with the hearing of an application for judicial review.
Marginal note:Provincial rules of judicial review apply
(10) Unless inconsistent with the provisions of this Act, all laws, including rules, respecting judicial review in force in the province of the court of appeal apply, with any modifications that the circumstances require, to applications under this section.
- Date modified: