22 (1) Despite section 18, but subject to this section, benefits are payable to a claimant who proves her pregnancy.
Marginal note:Weeks for which benefits may be paid
(2) Subject to section 12, benefits are payable to a claimant under this section for each week of unemployment in the period
(a) that begins the earlier of
(i) 12 weeks before the week in which her confinement is expected, and
(ii) the week in which her confinement occurs; and
(b) that ends 17 weeks after the later of
(i) the week in which her confinement is expected, and
(ii) the week in which her confinement occurs.
(3) When benefits are payable to a claimant for unemployment caused by pregnancy and any allowances, money or other benefits are payable to the claimant for that pregnancy under a provincial law, the benefits payable to the claimant under this Act shall be reduced or eliminated as prescribed.
Marginal note:Application of section 18
(4) For the purposes of section 13, the provisions of section 18 do not apply to the week that immediately precedes the period described in subsection (2).
(5) Subject to subsection 19(3), if benefits are payable under this section to a claimant for a week of unemployment, there shall be deducted from those benefits any allowances, money or other benefits payable to the claimant for that week under a plan that covers insured persons employed by an employer and in respect of which the employer’s premium has been reduced in accordance with regulations made under subsection 69(1).
Marginal note:Extension of period
(6) If a child who is born of the claimant’s pregnancy is hospitalized, the period during which benefits are payable under subsection (2) shall be extended by the number of weeks during which the child is hospitalized.
(7) The extended period shall end no later than 52 weeks after the week of confinement.
- 1996, c. 23, s. 22
- 2016, c. 7, s. 214
- 2017, c. 20, s. 234
- 2018, c. 12, s. 287
- 2021, c. 23, s. 309
- Date modified: