Marginal note:Duration of disqualification
28 (1) A disqualification under section 27 is for the number of weeks that the Commission may determine, but
(a) the number of weeks of a disqualification arising under paragraph 27(1)(a) or (b) shall be not fewer than 7 or more than 12; and
(b) the number of weeks of a disqualification arising under paragraph 27(1)(c) or (d) or subsection 27(1.1) shall be not more than 6.
Marginal note:When disqualification is to be served
(2) Subject to subsections (3) to (5), the weeks of disqualification are to be served during the weeks following the waiting period for which benefits would otherwise be payable if the disqualification had not been imposed and, for greater certainty, the length of the disqualification is not affected by any subsequent loss of employment by the claimant during the benefit period.
Marginal note:Disqualification to be carried forward
(3) Any portion of the disqualification that has not been served when the claimant’s benefit period ends shall, subject to subsections (4) and (5), be served in any benefit period subsequently established within two years after the event giving rise to the disqualification.
(4) No weeks of disqualification shall be carried forward against a claimant who has had 700 or more hours of insurable employment since the event giving rise to the disqualification.
(5) The Commission shall defer the serving of the disqualification if the claimant is otherwise entitled to special benefits or benefits by virtue of section 25.
(6) For the purposes of this Part, benefits are deemed to be paid for the weeks of disqualification.
(7) [Repealed, 2021, c. 23, s. 314]
- 1996, c. 23, s. 28
- 2001, c. 5, s. 7
- 2021, c. 23, s. 314
- Date modified: