Marginal note:Entitlement to benefits
50 (1) A claimant who fails to fulfil or comply with a condition or requirement under this section is not entitled to receive benefits for as long as the condition or requirement is not fulfilled or complied with.
Marginal note:How a claim must be made
(2) A claim for benefits shall be made in the manner directed at the office of the Commission that serves the area in which the claimant resides, or at such other place as is prescribed or directed by the Commission.
(3) A claim for benefits shall be made by completing a form supplied or approved by the Commission, in the manner set out in instructions of the Commission.
(4) A claim for benefits for a week of unemployment in a benefit period shall be made within the prescribed time.
Marginal note:Additional information
(5) The Commission may at any time require a claimant to provide additional information about their claim for benefits.
Marginal note:Making claim or providing information in person
(6) The Commission may require a claimant or group or class of claimants to be at a suitable place at a suitable time in order to make a claim for benefits in person or provide additional information about a claim.
Marginal note:Registration for employment
(7) For the purpose of proving that a claimant is available for work, the Commission may require the claimant to register for employment at an agency administered by the Government of Canada or a provincial government and to report to the agency at such reasonable times as the Commission or agency directs.
Marginal note:Proof of efforts to obtain employment
(8) For the purpose of proving that a claimant is available for work and unable to obtain suitable employment, the Commission may require the claimant to prove that the claimant is making reasonable and customary efforts to obtain suitable employment.
Marginal note:Proof — additional certificate
(8.1) For the purpose of proving that the conditions of subsection 23.1(2) or 152.06(1) are met, the Commission may require the claimant to provide it with an additional certificate issued by a medical doctor or nurse practitioner.
Marginal note:Mailing address
(9) A claimant shall provide the mailing address of their normal place of residence, unless otherwise permitted by the Commission.
Marginal note:Waiver or variation of requirements
(10) The Commission may waive or vary any of the conditions and requirements of this section or the regulations whenever in its opinion the circumstances warrant the waiver or variation for the benefit of a claimant or a class or group of claimants.
- 1996, c. 23, s. 50
- 2015, c. 36, s. 76
- 2017, c. 20, s. 239
- Date modified: