Financial Administration Act
Marginal note:Payments urgently required
30 (1) Subject to subsection (1.1), where a payment is urgently required for the public good
(a) at any time that Parliament is not in session from the date of a dissolution until sixty days following the date fixed for the return of the writs at the general election immediately following that dissolution, and
(b) there is no other appropriation pursuant to which the payment may be made,
the Governor in Council, on the report of the President of the Treasury Board that there is no appropriation for the payment and the report of the appropriate Minister that the payment is urgently required for the public good, may, by order, direct the preparation of a special warrant to be signed by the Governor General authorizing the payment to be made out of the Consolidated Revenue Fund.
Marginal note:No special warrants when Parliament prorogued
(1.1) The Governor in Council shall not, in the sixty days referred to in subsection (1), direct the preparation of a special warrant referred to in that subsection when Parliament is not in session on any of those days by virtue of the fact that it is prorogued.
Marginal note:Special warrant
(2) A special warrant issued pursuant to this section shall for the purposes of this Act be deemed to be an appropriation for the fiscal year in which the warrant is issued.
Marginal note:Publication and report
(3) Every warrant issued under this section shall be published in the Canada Gazette within thirty days after it is issued, and a statement showing all warrants issued under this section and the amounts of those warrants shall be laid by the President of the Treasury Board before the House of Commons within fifteen days after the commencement of the next ensuing session of Parliament.
Marginal note:Subsequent appropriation
(4) Where a special warrant has been issued pursuant to this section, the amounts appropriated thereby shall be deemed to be included in and not to be in addition to the amounts appropriated by the Act of Parliament enacted next thereafter for granting to Her Majesty sums of money to defray expenses of the public service of Canada for a fiscal year.
(5) [Repealed, 1997, c. 5, s. 1]
- R.S., 1985, c. F-11, s. 30
- 1997, c. 5, s. 1
- Date modified: