Insurance Companies Act
Marginal note:Annual financial statement
(a) a comparative annual financial statement relating separately to
(a.1) in the case of a company that has participating policyholders, the information prescribed in respect of the policies established under paragraphs 165(2)(e) and (e.1) and the other prescribed information;
(b) the report of the auditor of the company;
(c) the report of the actuary of the company;
(d) a description of the roles of the actuary of the company and the auditor of the company in the preparation and audit of the annual statement; and
(e) any further information respecting the financial position of the company and the results of its operations required by the by-laws of the company to be placed before the shareholders and policyholders at the annual meeting.
Marginal note:Annual statement — contents
(2) With respect to each of the financial years to which it relates, the annual statement of a company must contain the prescribed statements and any information that is in the opinion of the directors necessary to present fairly, in accordance with the accounting principles referred to in subsection (4), the financial position of the company as at the end of the financial year to which it relates and the results of the operations and changes in the financial position of the company for that financial year.
Marginal note:Additional information
(3) A company shall include with its annual statement
(a) in the case of a company that has participating policyholders, a summary of the policies established under paragraphs 165(2)(e) and (e.1);
(b) a list of the subsidiaries of the company, other than subsidiaries that are not required to be listed by the regulations and subsidiaries acquired pursuant to section 499 or pursuant to a realization of security in accordance with section 500 and which the company would not otherwise be permitted to hold, showing, with respect to each subsidiary,
(i) its name and the address of its head or principal office,
(ii) the book value of the aggregate of any shares of the subsidiary beneficially owned by the company and by other subsidiaries of the company, and
(iii) the percentage of the voting rights attached to all the outstanding voting shares of the subsidiary that is carried by the aggregate of any voting shares of the subsidiary beneficially owned by the company and by other subsidiaries of the company; and
(c) such other information as may be prescribed in such form as may be prescribed.
Marginal note:Accounting principles
(4) The financial statements referred to in subsection (1), paragraph (3)(b) and subsection 333(1) shall, except as otherwise specified by the Superintendent, be prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, the primary source of which is the Handbook of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants. A reference in any provision of this Act to the accounting principles referred to in this subsection shall be construed as a reference to those generally accepted accounting principles with any specifications so made.
(5) [Repealed, 2005, c. 54, s. 284]
(6) The Governor in Council may make regulations respecting subsidiaries that are not required to be listed for the purposes of paragraph (3)(b).
- 1991, c. 47, s. 331
- 1997, c. 15, s. 233
- 2001, c. 9, s. 398
- 2005, c. 54, s. 284
- Date modified: