Insurance Companies Act
Marginal note:Reduction of capital
757 (1) The stated capital of an insurance holding company may be reduced by special resolution.
(2) An insurance holding company shall not reduce its stated capital by special resolution if there are reasonable grounds for believing that the insurance holding company is, or the reduction would cause the insurance holding company to be, in contravention of a regulation referred to in subsection 992(1) or (2) or in a direction made under subsection 992(3).
Marginal note:Contents of special resolution
(3) A special resolution to reduce the stated capital of an insurance holding company shall specify the stated capital account or accounts from which the reduction of stated capital effected by the special resolution will be deducted.
Marginal note:Approval by Superintendent
(4) A special resolution to reduce the stated capital of an insurance holding company has no effect until it is approved in writing by the Superintendent.
Marginal note:Conditions for approval
(5) No approval to reduce the stated capital of an insurance holding company may be given by the Superintendent unless application therefor is made within three months after the time of the passing of the special resolution and a copy of the special resolution, together with a notice of intention to apply for approval, has been published in the Canada Gazette.
Marginal note:Statements to be submitted
(6) In addition to evidence of the passing of a special resolution to reduce the stated capital of an insurance holding company and of the publication thereof, statements showing
(a) the number of the insurance holding company’s shares issued and outstanding,
(b) the results of the voting by class of shares of the insurance holding company,
(c) the insurance holding company’s assets and liabilities, and
(d) the reason why the insurance holding company seeks the reduction of capital
shall be submitted to the Superintendent at the time of the application for approval of the special resolution.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 757
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465
- Date modified: