Investment Canada Act
Marginal note:Reviewable investments
25.3 (1) An investment is reviewable under this Part if the Minister, after consultation with the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, considers that the investment could be injurious to national security and the Governor in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister, makes an order within the prescribed period for the review of the investment.
(2) The Minister shall, without delay after the order has been made, send to the non-Canadian making the investment and to any person or entity from which the Canadian business or the entity referred to in paragraph 25.1(c) is being acquired, a notice indicating that an order for the review of the investment has been made and advising them of their right to make representations to the Minister.
Marginal note:Condition for investment
(3) If a non-Canadian has not implemented a proposed investment when they receive a notice under subsection (2), they shall not implement the investment unless they receive
(a) a notice under paragraph (6)(b) indicating that no further action will be taken in respect of the investment; or
(b) a copy of an order made under section 25.4 authorizing the investment to be implemented.
(4) If, after receipt of the notice referred to in subsection (2), the non-Canadian or other person or entity advises the Minister that they wish to make representations, the Minister shall afford them a reasonable opportunity to make representations in person or by a representative.
Marginal note:Requirement to provide information
(5) The Minister may require the non-Canadian or other person or entity to provide, within the time and in the manner specified by the Minister, any prescribed information or any other information that the Minister considers necessary for the purposes of the review.
Marginal note:Ministerial action
(6) After consultation with the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, the Minister shall, within the prescribed period,
(a) refer the investment under review to the Governor in Council, together with a report of the Minister’s findings and recommendations on the review, if
(i) the Minister is satisfied that the investment would be injurious to national security, or
(ii) on the basis of the information available, the Minister is not able to determine whether the investment would be injurious to national security; or
(b) send to the non-Canadian a notice indicating that no further action will be taken in respect of the investment if the Minister is satisfied that the investment would not be injurious to national security.
(7) If the Minister is unable to complete the consideration of an investment within the prescribed period referred to in subsection (6), the Minister shall, within that period, send a notice to that effect to the non-Canadian. The Minister then has until the end of the period prescribed for this subsection, or any further period that the Minister and the non-Canadian agree on, to take the applicable measures described in paragraph (6)(a) or (b).
- 2009, c. 2, s. 453
- 2013, c. 33, s. 141
- Date modified: