Marginal note:Provincial superior courts
29 (1) If the legislature of a province has enacted legislation establishing for each office of judge of a superior court of the province the additional office of supernumerary judge of the court, and a judge of that court notifies the Minister of Justice of Canada and the attorney general of the province of the judge’s election to give up regular judicial duties and hold office only as a supernumerary judge, the judge shall hold the office of supernumerary judge from the time notice is given until he or she reaches the age of retirement, resigns or is removed from or otherwise ceases to hold office, or until the expiry of 10 years from the date of the election, whichever occurs earlier, and shall be paid the salary annexed to that office.
(2) An election under subsection (1) may only be made by a judge
Marginal note:Duties of judge
(3) A judge who has made the election referred to in subsection (1) shall hold himself or herself available to perform such special judicial duties as may be assigned to the judge
(a) by the chief justice, senior associate chief justice or associate chief justice, as the case may be, of the court of which the judge is a member or, where that court is constituted with divisions, of the division of which the judge is a member; or
(b) in the case of a supernumerary judge of the Supreme Court of Yukon, of the Supreme Court of the Northwest Territories or of the Nunavut Court of Justice, by the senior judge of that Court.
Marginal note:Salary of supernumerary judge
(4) The salary of each supernumerary judge of a superior court is the salary annexed to the office of a judge of that court other than a chief justice, senior associate chief justice, associate chief justice or senior judge.
Marginal note:Reference to attorney general of a province
(5) In this section, a reference to the attorney general of a province shall be construed in relation to Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut as a reference to the Commissioner of that territory.
Definition of senior judge
(6) In this section, senior judge of the Supreme Court of Yukon, of the Supreme Court of the Northwest Territories or of the Nunavut Court of Justice means the judge with the earliest date of appointment to the court in question who has not made an election under subsection (1) or 32.1(1) or, in the case of more than one such judge having been appointed on the same day, the judge that the Governor in Council may designate as the senior judge.
- R.S., 1985, c. J-1, s. 29
- 1993, c. 28, s. 78
- 1999, c. 3, s. 74
- 2002, c. 7, s. 191, c. 8, s. 88(E)
- 2006, c. 11, s. 8
- 2012, c. 31, s. 214
- Date modified: