Canada Labour Code
140 (1) Subject to any terms and conditions specified by the Minister, the Minister may delegate to any qualified person or class of persons any of the powers, duties or functions the Minister is authorized to exercise or perform for the purposes of this Part.
Marginal note:Agreements — delegating provincial employees
(2) Subject to subsection (3), the Minister may, with the approval of the Governor in Council, enter into an agreement with any province or any provincial body specifying the terms and conditions under which the Minister may delegate to a person employed by that province or provincial body the powers, duties or functions that the Minister is authorized to exercise or perform for the purposes of this Part.
(3) The powers, duties or functions of the Minister provided for in section 130, subsections 135(3), 137.1(1) to (2.1), and (7) to (9), 137.2(4), 138(1) to (2) and (4) to (6), 140(1), (2) and (4), 144(1) and 149(1), sections 152 and 155 and subsections 156.1(1), 157(3) and 159(2), shall not be the subject of an agreement under subsection (2).
Marginal note:Certificate of authority
(4) The Minister may provide any person to whom powers, duties or functions have been delegated under subsection (1), or under an agreement entered into under subsection (2), with a certificate of authority and, when exercising those powers or performing those duties or functions, that person shall show the certificate to any person who asks to see it.
Marginal note:Limitation of liability
(5) A person to whom powers, duties or functions have been delegated under subsection (1), or under an agreement entered into under subsection (2), is not personally liable for anything done or omitted to be done by them in good faith in the actual or purported exercise of those powers or performance of those duties or functions.
Marginal note:Duty of Her Majesty
(6) Despite subsection (5), and for greater certainty, Her Majesty in right of Canada is not relieved of any civil liability to which Her Majesty in right of Canada may otherwise be subject.
- R.S., 1985, c. L-2, s. 140
- R.S., 1985, c. 9 (1st Supp.), s. 4
- 2000, c. 20, s. 14
- 2013, c. 40, s. 190
- Date modified: