Canada Labour Code
206.3 (1) For the purposes of this section, care, family member, medical doctor, nurse practitioner and support have, subject to the regulations, the same meanings as in the regulations made under the Employment Insurance Act and week means the period between midnight on Saturday and midnight on the immediately following Saturday.
Marginal note:Entitlement to leave
(2) Subject to subsections (3) to (8), every employee is entitled to and shall be granted a leave of absence from employment of up to 28 weeks to provide care or support to a family member of the employee if a medical doctor or nurse practitioner issues a certificate stating that the family member has a serious medical condition with a significant risk of death within 26 weeks from
Marginal note:Medical practitioner
(2.1) In the circumstances set out under the Employment Insurance Act, the certificate referred to in subsection (2) may be issued by a member of a class of medical practitioners that is prescribed under that Act.
Marginal note:Period when leave may be taken
(3) The leave of absence may only be taken during the period
(a) that starts with
(b) that ends with the last day of the week in which either of the following occurs, namely,
Marginal note:Certificate not necessary
(3.1) For greater certainty, but subject to subsection (3), for leave under this section to be taken after the end of the period of 26 weeks set out in subsection (2), it is not necessary for a medical doctor or nurse practitioner to issue an additional certificate under that subsection (2).
Marginal note:Shorter period
Marginal note:Expiry of shorter period
(5) When a shorter period referred to in subsection (4) has expired in respect of a family member, no further leave may be taken under this section in respect of that family member until the minimum number of weeks prescribed for the purposes of subsection 12(4.3) or 152.14(7) of the Employment Insurance Act has elapsed.
(6) [Repealed, 2014, c. 20, s. 242]
Marginal note:Aggregate leave — more than one employee
(7) The aggregate amount of leave that may be taken by two or more employees under this section in respect of the care or support of the same family member shall not exceed 28 weeks in the period referred to in subsection (3).
Marginal note:Limitation — section 206.4
(7.1) No leave may be taken by one or more employees under subsection 206.4(2) or (2.1) before the end of the leave taken under subsection (2) in respect of the same person.
Marginal note:Copy of certificate
(8) If requested in writing by the employer within 15 days after an employee’s return to work, the employee must provide the employer with a copy of the certificate referred to in subsection (2).
(9) The references in this section to provisions that are in Part VII.1 of the Employment Insurance Act apply only in relation to employees who are self-employed persons referred to in paragraph (b) of the definition self-employed person in subsection 152.01(1) of that Act.
- 2003, c. 15, s. 27
- 2009, c. 33, s. 30
- 2014, c. 20, s. 242
- 2015, c. 36, s. 73
- 2017, c. 20, s. 262
- Date modified: